Existing Member?

Leah Down Under

the great outdoors

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 5 January 2009 | Views [477]

We got back to nature at our second camping location. We stayed in a very rustic homestead in the middle of nowhere run by a funny German couple. Actually, it was in the middle of the very large and deserted Fitzgerald River National Park and was only accessed by 45 minutes on dusty dirt roads so it felt like the middle of nowhere. There are by far more flies and mosquitos than people in this park. More kangaroos as well...one of which made friends with Seb and I. He wouldn't leave us alone after Seb made the mistake of giving him some bread. I was unsuccessful in my quest to sneak him home, though.

The national park is the gateway to Point Ann, where humpback whales can be seen when they come into shore to give birth. Unfortunately, it was not the right time for us. Kudos to the German, though, who gave us directions (sketchy directions down an old four-wheel-drive track, but directions nonetheless) to a beautiful little bay that we had all to ourselves for the entire afternoon.

We also drove into Bremer Bay, a nice little town just outside the national park. A strange place, though. We followed a sign for a hilltop lookout that instead led us to the base of a single giant wind turbine. No fence around it or anything. Very odd.

The mosquitos and flies were a pain in the you know what, however, and we were happy to get the heck out of there after two nights. Photos in the Great Outdoors gallery.

the sketchy (and possibly snaked-filled) trek to Two Bays

the sketchy (and possibly snaked-filled) trek to Two Bays

Tags: western australia

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.