Existing Member?

Leah Down Under

south coast beauty

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 5 January 2009 | Views [981]

I thought I had seen the most beautiful beaches in Western Australia. Boy, was I wrong. It turns out that the most beautiful beaches in the state, and quite possibly the country, are in and around the small town of Esperance, on the south coast. We spent two days camping here. This is technically the Southern Ocean (or so the Aussies say - I still maintain that there are only four oceans on this planet, and therefore this was the southern Indian Ocean, but I digress), and the water is spectacular. Perfect, clear, pale turquoise against sugar-white sand. Beaches like this can be found elsewhere in the world as well...in lush, humid, tropical locales. I think what made these beaches so stunning was the contrast with the harsh, dry landscape. No palm trees. No jungle. Just dry bush, basically. There were a couple of national parks to explore and lots of time staring at the enormous beauty. The pictures do not do it justice, so come see for yourself! Otherwise, check out the Esperance gallery.

Lucky Bay in Cape le Grand NP

Lucky Bay in Cape le Grand NP

Tags: beaches, esperance, indian ocean, southern ocean, western australia

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.