Existing Member?

The Tales of a Pisspot and a Worrywort!

Can't Wait to Get Rid of Our Turtle Shells!

SPAIN | Sunday, 25 September 2011 | Views [376]

We think it's time to have a quick backtrack! Our Spanish travels came to an end in Madrid, a bustling, beautiful and friendly city. We settled down for the last few days in Sol, and unknown to us the exact centre of Spain. No wonder we stood there questioning why so many people were taking a photo of a silly little sign on the ground. We figured 5 days in Madrid could get boring so we headed to the bus station to see if we could head to Toledo for the day.

A quick 2 hours and we were in one of the most stunning cities in Spain. We walked up its steep cobbled streets, got lost - this time not for fun - and jumped on a bus tour to see the sights of the city. Driving past the Cathedral, Alacazar and the train station it became clear that Toledo wasnt so small after all. On our way back after the tour Ray wanted to check out the torture exhibition, interestingly held in someones house. Then it was back on the bus back to Madrid.

The last couple of days in Madrid found us walking a long, long way past some of the most amazing buildings! We headed down to the beautiful gardens where we were amazed by the street performers, the crystal palace and ability to finally relax somewhere quiet. We spent the night with some fellow travellers down at the park, housing the most amazing temple, drinking sangria and enjoying the sunset.

The next day we decided that we should probably go on a free tour so that we could possibly learn something before we left. We ended up with an awesome tour guide who was funny, informative and taught us how to do a rather shitty version of the flamenco which went something like this: "pick the apple, eat the apple, throw the apple, and stomp on the apple". On the tour we saw the oldest resturant in the world (Guiness World Records verified), the spot of the most suicides, the grand palace, beautiful architecture, cathedrals and statues galore. We also had the most amazing doughnut sticks dipped in chocolate!

After our tour we spent the last of our Euros on a tapas tour and with full bellies it was off to bed for an early start to catch our plane to old London town. Its sad to think that our main chunk of travels are over. Its time to find jobs, a house, and hopefully not forget the amazing times and friends we have had the opportunity to enjoy! Although I must admit I am very keen to have my own bed, and to stop feeling like a turtle carrying my life around on my back (Ray says that Im slower than a turtle and complain a lot more) :)

Next stop Oktoberfest!

L&R

 

About leaandray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.