Existing Member?

the balance if you don't know where you're going, any path will take you there. and what a good place it has taken me.

severe allergy to tapas bars

SPAIN | Saturday, 8 November 2008 | Views [437]

spaniards (an non-spaniards) look at me with pity when i tell them that i´m allergic to shellfish.  shellfish are a large and well loved part of the spanish diet.  what they don´t know is that not only am i allergic to shellfish, but that has led to an allergy to tapas.

i love tapas as much as the next girl, but due to what i am guessing is my severe (before i thought it was mild) allergy to shellfish, i cannot eat all tapas, due to cross contamination (using the same pots and pans to cook non shellfish as shellfish.)  so i pick and choose my tapas wisely.

but a few days ago, i went to meet up with some friends who were finishing up at a tapas bar.  after walking in my face began to feel hot...and itchy...and puffy.  behold, i was having an allergic reaction to vaporized shellfish protein!

how, i ask, how and i supposed to live in spain if i can´t even go into tapas bars?  there must be shellfish allergy support groups in spain, there must be.  i´m going to find one. i´ll keep you updated.

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.