Existing Member?

the balance if you don't know where you're going, any path will take you there. and what a good place it has taken me.

walking on escalators.

SPAIN | Wednesday, 22 October 2008 | Views [545] | Comments [4]

spaniards are famous for being laid-back, taking in easy, taking things slow.

i and my united states-ian, overachieving self, however, does exactly the opposite.  thus was one of the many reasons to move to spain.  learn to slow down, take it easy, enjoy life at a leisurely pace.  i´m learning, little by little, but i still have one large obstacle.

escalators in the metro.

nope, i just cannot, CANNOT, bring myself to just stand on the escalator.  i cut my escalator time in half by walking while riding it.  great when running late for work, yet unnecessary when not running behind.  yet, even if i am going somewhere just for fun, not meeting anyone, no deadline, no schedule, all the time in the world, i still walk. worse yet, i roll my eyes if someone is blocking the walking aisle.

and if there´s a crowd, i take the stairs.

like i said, i´m still learning.

Comments

1

i will be happy to walk up escalators with you come january!

  shira Oct 25, 2008 3:34 PM

2

Hi Lauren,

Imagine the additional calories you are burning while walking then standing. Hello!!! Glad life is so grand for you right now. Enjoy it.

Miss you much. School is great. Hope to hear from you soon.

xoxo,

Allison

  Allison Mitas Oct 28, 2008 1:08 PM

3

this was posted on my birthday!

also, walking on escalators is like walking on moving sidewalks — you just don't do it. why exert the effort when the effort is exerted for you?

-brudder.

  p. Nov 22, 2008 11:07 AM

4

I agree so much I can't help but say something.

I actually got in a fight with someone on an escalator coming out of the Subway a few months ago who was blocking it during rush hour. I guess NY's wound up pretty tight, and making me moreso (although in my defense there's a clear unwritten cultural code in NY that says stand to the right, walk to the left)

I'm jealous of your time in Spain and the traveling you did before landing there. (and yes, clearly I just went on a facebook stalk tangent that led me back through your travel notes...)

Take care of yourself Lauren F. Wall!

  Chris Williams Jan 30, 2009 2:30 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.