Existing Member?

Here, Loving Each Other and Fearless Join me as I dig my toes in deep into this big, beautiful world.

Life is This

USA | Monday, 22 August 2011 | Views [376]

Hi friends and family!

Welcome to my travel log, where I hope to keep you updated as I make my way around this big, beautiful world.  A little bit of background: this trip was inspired by my Australian friend, Patrick, who I met while staying at his hostel (in a tent in the backyard!) in Melbourne.  We have stayed in touch since I returned to the States, and when he couldn’t make it over here for a road trip in the U.S., we worked it out so that I could join him on a promotional trip for his hostel up the east coast of Oz.  The rest is history!  (Or future, I suppose…)

 

Here are my plans so far, broken down by months:

 

June

I’ll be home in Haddonfield, New Jersey, loving the free room and board, Jersey shore, and hangin out with friends and family.  On the 30th, I depart for my 17+-hour journey to Melbourne, Australia…

 

July

Patrick and I will be driving his van up the east coast of Australia.  (Itinerary TBD.)

 

August

Up in the air – I’ll likely be hanging out in or around Melbourne, or perhaps already crossing borders early…

 

September

For at least one month, I will be working at Mistletoe Bay, an eco-village on a peninsula between the north and south islands of New Zealand.  For free room (my own self-contained unit) and board (wine and calling cards included), I will be doing basic care-taking duties: picking organic veggies; taking care of their goats, pigs, and two alpacas; driving visitors to the site via boat; stocking shelves of their small shop; and the like.  Mistletoe Bay is just outside Picton, the south island’s major port where the ferries from the north dock.  More importantly, Picton is in the Malborough region – one of New Zealand’s major wine-producing areas.  The next time you’re in a wine store, check out their collection of Sauvignon Blancs.  If the place is any good, they’ll have some from Malborough.  So I’ll be updating you on the development of both my self and of my palate.

 

November

This is where it gets a little fuzzier.  For November, I’ll either be hanging around Mistletoe Bay or traveling around New Zealand, hitting up the places I missed the first time around, notably:  Tanagriro Crossing, Christchurch, Dunedin, Stuart Island, and perhaps even the upper reaches of the north island.

 

December

For the middle of this month, I hope to be entertaining or traveling with my best friend Sarah, depending on what we both can afford!  We’d love to spend the holidays and New Years together, where ever we may be.  Mistletoe Bay has asked me to return to help them with the busy holiday seasons and this seems like a likely prospect.

...So now you know what I know!  This itinerary will surely change as time flies by, and I hope to add entries to this journal once a week, depending on the Internet’s availability.  So… feel free to post comments and stay tuned!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.