Existing Member?

Travel is Freedom! "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." - Mark Twain

2 Days in Luang Prabang

LAOS | Tuesday, 17 July 2007 | Views [449]

I've had a great time here in Luang Prabang, norhern Laos on the banks of the Mekong River.  It's an old French-colonial city that is a Unesco World Heritage Site, so it gets a lot of money for upkeep and restoration, and it's simply beautiful.  It's called Luang Prabang.  This is one of my favorite TOWNS so far in Asia.  Gold and red and blue-colored temples everywhere, mixed with French colonial architecture in the houses and guesthouses.  Everything is made of solid wood (probably from deforestation of the surrounding area).  And the Laos people are always smiling and friendly, nobody pushes me to buy anything, go anyplace, hire anyone!  There are monks everywhere, and they actually talk to me--- ask me questions, invite me in, spend time lingering.  The surrounding area is mountainous, but more hilly than mountains, with terraced fields in the valleys.  Everything is green, and there are flowers and butterflies everywhere. I got up really early every morning to photograph the monks receiving alms (food from the villagers for their breakfasts)....it's such a beautiful tradition that they are still carrying on.  Such a slow pace of life, i love it!  I rented a bike for $1 per day and ride all over the town and along the Mekong river.  I Took photos of the beautiful landscape and some fisherman too.   I saw some crazy stuff in the markets:  skinned monkeys, cow legs with the hooves still on, snakes alive squirming around in a bowl....all for sale for eating!  I have visited tons of Buddhist temples/monasteries and talked with the novice monks.  I think I got some good shots here, we'll have to see.  today i went with Doug, a Canadian guy I met, to this beautiful waterfall with many many different levels of water and cascades on multiple tiers.  I swam in several of the crystal turquoise pools.....cold but it felt good as it's really hot here (hotter than it was in bangkok, actually....tho after that HELLISH winter in Chicago, I am loving it!)  It's a beautiful town, highly recommended!!!

Tags: Culture

About lauramc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.