Existing Member?

Travel is Freedom! "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." - Mark Twain

Vang Vieng, Laos

LAOS | Sunday, 22 July 2007 | Views [416]

Vang Vieng was amazing, I'm so glad I went there.  There are these huge limestone mountains with the river running through and layers and layers of green rice paddies.....I rented a tuk-tuk and had the driver take me out to where people were transplanting rice.  I was walking out on the little elevated banks they make between each paddy, weaving my way out to the people and snapping away.  It was fun!  I hope I got some good shots!  After we had moved on from the rice paddies, it started raining so the tuk-tuk driver pulled over.  Out I jumped with my poncho on, and went for a walk.  I saw the most stunning scene as I walked across a bridge:  5 boys playing on the river banks in a misty scene of river and limestone mountains and forest looming in the distance.  This better be one my best shots!

I stayed in a little bungalow along the river, it was really beautiful there with butterflies in the garden everywhere, the restaurant had the most amazing view, and the surroundings were very natural. 

2 days ago was INSANE.  I went tubing with this Aussie guy I met at my guesthouse (well, EVERYONE in town goes tubing here, so I was planning and so was he, so we ended up going together and sharing a dry bag.)  They have all of these zip lines into the river and rope swings and stuff all along, with make-shift bars set up all along.....everyone drinks and jumps off the swings into the river.  Super fun, but the Aussie guy got really drunk and couldn't maneuver his tube, and he stuck out in the river near our guesthouse--- with me swimming across the current, tube in one hand, to make it to shore---and him floating on down.....that SUCKED because finally I had to go into the restaurant wet in my bathing suit to get someone to go out and rescue him!  They would never get away with doing any of this kind of crazy stuff in the west, they would end up getting sued, and insurance companies would just never have it.  Good fun, tho!  Met tons of people.  My arms and shoulders hurt from swinging into the river!! 

Yesterday we went to a crystal-blue lagoon and climbed up to a huge cave nearby by motorbike, a little more relaxed!  The cave was amazingly cavernous, and there was a Thai gold reclining Buddha in the middle with the light coming in and shining on it. Very Cool.  The Aussie guy has done a lot of photography so we set up the lighting together on my camera.....hopefully one of those will be a winner, we'll see! 

Tags: On the Road

About lauramc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.