Existing Member?

Loving life. Living Life. Doing life. Some are just waiting for the fish to bite; or for the wind to fly a kite; or a pot to boil, or a better break; some are just waiting for a string of pearls, or a pair of pants; a wig with curls, or another chance.... Everyone is just waiting (it seems)

Globalisation and the African Sun.

ZAMBIA | Sunday, 19 February 2012 | Views [360]

As i sit in the warm African sun, My mind is racing, my thoughts are crowding my mind. I think about the people who have commented that My life is now worlds apart from theirs and how do I survive? this got me thinking, our worlds are not that far removed. Firstly, I have the world wide web. I log on to a Japanese computer and open my Chinese Brand fridge, to get my Italian branded-milk so I can have a cup of English tea in my mug made in china, to sit on a chair made in Zambia. I look over to Our Japanese imported vehicle and I hear the sounds from the football field, from the Saturday afternoon soccer match, where I can be sure that each and every player is, in their mind, Someone in the A league. Chelsea versus Man-U are at play today.  I get a text  message on my Finnish Nokia Phone( I could go on, but I am sure that at this stage, you get the point). Although, in the material, our lives seem fairly similar, our societal norms and values, along with our culture separate us.

Globalisation. Ah yes. It's either a wonderful thing, or not. It comes down to capitalism and how it impacts our lives. There are theories on both sides of the spectrum. Today, at this moment in time, for my selfish thinking, it is great, so I can sit here on the internet and see what's happening beyond what my eyes can see. On the flip side, ask a worker in Apac, Uganda what they think about this. These Organic Cotton farmers, I am sure, do not have an overwhelming desire to grow organic cotton in order to clothe babies in wealthy Western countries, rather I would say that Ugandan organic cotton farmers grow organic cotton to feed and clothe their own babies. (If they don't die from cerebral Malaria first). In order  for this cotton that is being produced to be deemed as ‘organic,’ no pesticides can be used anywhere in the process of the cotton growing. Cotton is grown in water; water attracts mosquitoes; Of course, so that you and I can feel warm and fuzzy and buy our organic cotton, Mama Pamela, Mama Sofia, Mama Regina and Daddy Jacob cannot use mosquito repellent on their skin. This is turn is adding to the problem of malaria, in a nation with ill-equipped medical facilities. One of the millennium Development Goals (MDGs) is to reduce instances of Malaria – a goal set by the United Nations, signed by its member states, some of whom are obviously encouraging the western ideals that is ‘sexy’ and  should make us feel good. In a world where people argue for equality (in all its forms – marriage for gays, equal opportunity employment and salaries for women, paid maternity leave and so on), I wonder if that equal opportunity extends to the farmers and their right to make a fair wage, and work in conditions that do  not put their lives at risk? I guess that in theory this chemical free farming is a splendid idea for us in the west, but in reality, baby Omara is dying so that Baby Max can wear organic.

Essentially , many people argue against capitalism. This reminds me of a text I read at uni and influenced my thinking somewhat Small is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered. Written in the 1970s by E.F. Schumacher and oh So relevant for me today.

Just this week in Australia, I notice that the ‘big 4 banks’ have raised interest rates. I know that there are many unhappy Australians. I also know that wise choices need to be made by consumers in order to get a ‘fair deal.’ Like keep our money in Community Banks, wear clothing that was made under fair conditions, purchase diamonds that were not made by children. Being aware of the capitalistic choices that this world throws at us and remembering the words of Sir Isaac Newton “For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.” Like E waste. When our government tell us to take our computers and old mobile phones (Iphone 1 that is sooooo out-dated) to a recycle bin, we do, because recycling is good. Have you ever wondered where that waste ends up? In Tanzania, China, Ghana on a rubbish pile that is burned and the smoke gets into people’s lungs and adding to health care burdens.

The Key to consumerism is being educated in our choices and to not get sucked into the message spread by big business and big corporations. No matter what great marketing slogan they come up with, their best interests are never the consumer, but always themselves.

 

Heavy…. But just what’s on my mind today…… Now I am going to prepare dinner – bought fresh pineapple today and it smells Great!

Till next time,

Miss Laura 

About laura_jane


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Zambia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.