Existing Member?

Loving life. Living Life. Doing life. Some are just waiting for the fish to bite; or for the wind to fly a kite; or a pot to boil, or a better break; some are just waiting for a string of pearls, or a pair of pants; a wig with curls, or another chance.... Everyone is just waiting (it seems)

Jimmy Hewitt-Grylls

ZAMBIA | Monday, 30 January 2012 | Views [428]

Despite all that Zambia has to offer, working inside all day long can produce major cabin fever. The colours, sights, sounds, and smells get lost and forgotten and a chair, desk and computer can be taken and placed anywhere in the world, effectively producing the same results. The unique thing about Africa, however, is the consistent  power outages - a sure way to remember that one is in Africa. Perhaps the time of now power can be used for creating greater team cohesion and generally building upon the human relationships side of things that often get left by the wayside when the task at hand seems like the most important thing of all. 

Step outside of the office, and one would be greeted with a straight, long red-dirt road, bush land with a myriad of textures and shades of green, and canopies so high, they almost touch the brilliant blue sky that sits high above us. It's a place that black mambas (snakes), spiders, squirrels, shinglolos and a ton of bird life call home, but it makes for pleasant surrounds in our day to day lives. - Which is why Sunday afternoon took us to the Lumwana Open. Nadal, Hewitt and Djokovic all made an appearance in a Round-Robin tournament that lasted hours. The Audience (i.e. - me) had a real treat - watching Hewitt come back and seeing Nadal being slammed by Djokovic. It really was a treat. 

After the tennis, all tired and worn out, we walked along that long, red dirt road to get home. However, Hewitt (Voller), having just had his endorphins come out decided that Bear Grylls needed to film an episode right here in Zambia, so Jimmy Grylls decided to step in for Bear. This meant starting a fire without a match using just the Bear hunting knife and another little tool. However, Grylls first went for a venture to find wood and Kindling to use for his fire. The end result - a very proud Husband who had hos favourite dinner of spaghetti bolognaise all for his mammoth effort during the day. 

About laura_jane


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Zambia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.