Existing Member?

The Riding Dutchman Year and a half of preparation and I came up with a highly detailled plan: Hop on the KTM in Costa Rica and head North... Central America; here I come...

Isla de Ometepe to Léon...

NICARAGUA | Tuesday, 27 April 2010 | Views [935]

Getting the bike secured at the ferry

Getting the bike secured at the ferry

I finally got out of my hammock at Isla de Ometepe on Monday and headed for Léon, a town 90km North of Managua. Got the bike to the ferry in about an hour on a dirt road and headed for the main land again. Lubed up my chain and hit the highway to Managua. Shortly after I left I noticed that the rainy season was kicking in a bit early so got my raingear on. Just to figure out that 5 minutes later the rain stopped and I was sweating my ass of in my raingear, so got it off and kept going... The road was pretty good and having fun. But after half an hour the Battle with my Butt started and I'm trying to teach it not to complain that fast. Well see if mind-over-body will do the trick.

Shortly before Managua I saw a sign for Léon and turned left. The bike was doing ok, but a little huff and puff now and than because of the bad fuel. Driving through some mountains and curvey roads: all good. But than the road turned into a lot of putholes with just little pieces of asphalt between them. Still 80km to go, so I was in for a treat! Dodging putholes and shear craters become a second nature pretty fast and was obligatory to save the tyres and suspension. After about an hour and a half I reach Léon: 'The capital of the Revolution' was writting above the sign and I think I gotta pick up on my history classes here...

The sun was setting and I reach downtown and searched for the hostel BigFoot. After some typical Central American chaos and one-way streets I managed to get to the hostel and got a dorm room and a well deserved cold beer. Tomorrow some ash-boarding ;-)

About lars_dijk


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.