Existing Member?

The Riding Dutchman Year and a half of preparation and I came up with a highly detailled plan: Hop on the KTM in Costa Rica and head North... Central America; here I come...

Leaving Hotel Costafornia Rica...

COSTA RICA | Monday, 19 April 2010 | Views [890]

It took me a while to leave Costa Rica, but on Saturday the 17th D-day was finally there. After saying goodbye to all my friends in Nuevo Arenal I hopped on the bike and took off to Tilaran to wish Sander all the best with FlyZone during the second National Fly Championship on Lago Arenal. After that I said goodbye to Dwayne (R.I.P.) and asked him to keep an eye on me during my travels. Last stop before actually hitting the road was the Yamaha dealer to drop off the Power of Attorney to sell my Genesis 200.

So far so good and I was off to Liberia. Shortly before Liberia I got stopped at the regular police checkpoint and had to show the paperwork to the bike. Prepared as I was (but with an expired visa) I wanted to show the officer I had all taken care off and reached in my tank bag to get the paperwork. But nothing was there! In a flash I remembered taking it out at the Yamaha dealer in Tilaran and being exited to leave forgot to put it back. So the first bump in the road was a fact... However the police officer was very helpful and told me I could get all the paperwork done at Banco de Costa Rica, only 10 minuted away. So I hopped on the bike only to figure out that that was not the case. I had to get back to Tilaran (75km) and time was ticking as it was already 2:30 pm. Raced back to Tilaran, got the paperwork and via Liberia headed towards the border where I arrived around 5pm. Got my exit stamp of Costa Rica and went to customs to process the bike via the papers I just retrieved from Tilaran. It went great for about one minute and the officer told me that the paperwork expired three days ago...!?! Lesson learned: never trust a Toco telling you the paperwork is valid for a month, double check it yourself...!

So there I was at the border getting hit by dusk and no valid papers. Solution: wait until the Registro Publico opens up on Monday in Liberia and come back to the border again. So I went back to Liberia (80km) and called Ryan and Meghan in Playa Hermosa (another 40km) if they had some shelter for a stranded Dutchie and his bike. Wouldn't be a problem, but they weren't at home until Sunday afternoon. So I checked in a hotel to hook up with them the next day. Got into a restaurant to grab dinner and bumped in to Linda and Bill Gossard who I hadn't been able to say goodbye to in Arenal. Maybe this was the reason for all of it, at least it was great to be able to grab a drink and say goodbye.

Next day chilled on the beach and met Ryan and Meghan at their house and spent the night to head for the border first thing Monday morning. Got up, drove to Liberia, got all the paperwork done at the Banco de Costa Rica and headed for La Cruz and give the border crossing another shot. Got onther exit stamp of Costa Rica and the fresh paperwork I headed for the Nicaraguan immigration. Of course got swarmed by helpful guys to assist in all the hoops they make you jump through. All went well until I needed to pay $12 entry fee. I had no dollars left so went to the ATM to find that they only accepted Visa and I happened to have a Mastercard... So next challenge; couldn't/wouldn't go back to Costa Rica to get dollars and couldn't enter Rivas the first town having an ATM accepting Mastercard. Time to get inventive to my helping guy was out of option. So I actually had a bright idea: go to the duty free shop and buy a pack of gum and let hem charge me $20 for it and get the change in cash. That was no option because they couldn't give me cash out of the register for some reason. Than looked around and saw a woman buying something and asked her if she was going to pay cash. She as so I suggested me paying it with my credit card and get the cash from her. Being flewent in Spanish I only needed to explain it for five times but than she got and the solution was a fact...! A couple of hoops more, fumigation of the bike and I was free to go and actually leave my precious Hotel California Rica! :-)

After all the hassle I went through I thought it would be nice to take it slow and head for Ometepe (40km) and take it slow for a couple of days. Got to Rivas and scored some dollars, went to San Jorge to catch the ferry to the Island and my luck had indeed changed: got there at 4:10pm and the first departure was at 4:30. Enough time to buy the ticked, get my bike on the ferry and head for the AC. Perfect timing after a couple of days with bumps in the road. After getting at Ometepe I headed for Playa Santo Domingo, about half on hour from the harbour and drove there during a nice sunset. Found a hotel, unpacked and headed for the bar for a well deserved beer (or five ;-)

About lars_dijk


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.