Existing Member?

The Riding Dutchman Year and a half of preparation and I came up with a highly detailled plan: Hop on the KTM in Costa Rica and head North... Central America; here I come...

Nicaragua, Isla de Ometepe

NICARAGUA | Tuesday, 20 April 2010 | Views [722]

The hotel I was at didn't have beach access so I walked on the beach to spot a nicer place to hang out. Saw a nice chill hammock filled hostel and got a room for $10 with private bathroom. All set to figure out what Ometepe is about... There's not a lot of stuff to do, so that fitted my schedule very well. Decided to stay another day before exploring some more of Ometepe and maybe hike up one of the two volcanos rising out of the big fresh water lake of Nicaragua. But knowing that will be a 5 hour hike up and a three hour down, I might pass on that option... Took a day off and relaxed on the beach.

21st April

Today it was time to do something and decided to go to 'Ojo de Agua' which means 'Eye of the Water'. It was a 15 minute walk and having a sore knee from wakeboarding last Saturday that was the best option. Walking there I met Andres from Brazil. He was heading for Ojo de Agua as well and we headed there together. It turned out to be a natural fed swimming pool in the shape of an eye. Chill vibe and cold drinks so we hung out for a while. Andres was exhausted because he was on a mountainbike coming from Merida and he was told it was a half an hour drive that ended up in THREE hours... Fun in Nicaragua... At the end of the afternoon Andres got the bus back since he was done riding the bike. He was staying in Merida and I wanted to go there in the morning so we will probably see each other there. Just before Andres left I talked to Anna from Argentina and I hung out for a bit more as she and a friend of hers from Holland were also going to walk back towards the beach I was staying.

At the hostel we said goodbye and after talking to some other guests at the hostel went to the restaurant next door and after that called it a night. Tonight some chill time in the hammock and let's see what tomorrow will bring. I heard there is quite a nice waterfall to check out close to Merida whicch is a three hour walk. With my knee getting better I'll check that out and see what will happen next. I did find out that the ferry going to Granada in not going to be a realistic option as it leaves at 12 at night and arrives at 3am. Not really a nice time to get to a city, let alone a boring journey on the ferry in the dark. So I'll get back to San Jorge on Friday or Saturday to head to either Masaya or Léon. Vamos a ver...

22nd April

Got to Merida (another town just down the road) and met Andres again at Hacienda Merida. From here I can actally see the volcano and the sunset in one picture, we'll check that out tonight. Andres talked to some people and heard that the waterfall is without water, so no waterfall trip which leaves the day to be spent in the lake and hammock. Not a bad alternative. Chilling is something my mind really needs so I'm doing what it tells me to do. Decided to hang out here until Saturday morning. The place is cheap ($6 a night, dorm) so I'll survive. Take today to check out stuff around here and maybe hit the road on the bike tomorrow. Saturday on the ferry back to San Jorge and than off to Léon, probably via Masaya. Full moon is at the 28th od April and I'm going to do some ash-boarding at night, should be interesting!

About lars_dijk


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.