Existing Member?

bird legs getting bigger

Phuket

THAILAND | Sunday, 25 January 2009 | Views [645] | Comments [4]

Hmm, so we've only beewn in Phuket 2 days and we leave for Bangkok this afternoon. It's great here, I really like it, would like to stay longer but we feel kinda rushed to to go get our visas renewed.
 
Puket is surrounded by beach but is a big area so there is lots of inland with no beaches, we are staying a bit more inland in Phuket Town as were heard it's less expensive and less crazy. - Next time I may stay on the beach though just cause I love it so much. But Phuket Town is nice, it's bright and busy but a lot more my pace then Bangkok, I don't feel anxious here it's foreign, but easy to get around. Our first Day Dave was sick and I just explored the area on my own. Went the wrong direction I wanted to go at first, but corrected that within 5 minutes. I even found an Indian restaurant I had heard about and had dinner on my own! So proud of such simple things...
 
The main reson we are in Phuket is for that Dave could go to a hospital to see a diving doctor specialist - to see if he can safely dive. - So the next full day that was the main plan. Dave was still a little tired  from being sick though, and I was growing a little love for Phuket so I didn't exactly want to follow Dave around all day in a Hospital. We decided to part for the day and have a day to ourselves. I researched a few beaches and decided on one that I'de like to spend the day at. I found local transit that was 30B to the beach I wanted to go to. Yayyy! it was fun! It was a covered long pickup truck with benches, on the way there, there was only an older white couple, a young Thai girl, a Thai man, and a Lady and her small child. It was a nice relaxing, breezy drive to the beach, took about 30 minutes.
 
I got off at the wrong stop! it was inbetween 2 beaches, so I walked, it was only a 10 minute walk but it was sooo hot and I was slipping all around in my flip flops again, I hated myself! And all the vendors on the beach walk wanted to shake my hand to say hello and my palms were just as bad as my feet, poor guys...
 
When I got to the beach i scoped it outm big and beautiful and beach chairs and umbrellas everywhere! First things first, I rented a snorkling mask! Then made my way to the edge of the beach (less crowded) you had to pay to rent a chair -$3, but it was worth it to have the chair, umbrela and a table to rest my stuff. So I just lazed on the beach all day, swam, snorkled, ordered lunch served to me right at my beach chair, it was lovely! Snorkling was fun, but since it was on a beach and not some remote deep cove, it wasn't as beautiful. The water was murky from the sand so I could only see right in front of me some times, and that was scary! to not know what was up ahead. I was creeped out snorkling by myself, so I'd follow other snorklers around like a creep! I wouldn't go right up to them, but I just made sure they were close by. hehehhe, I saw all the same beautiful fish as I saw the other day though, but the water was shallow, so it again, creeped me out that they were right under my belly.
 
I left the beach around 4:00 and this time it took me 2 hours to get home! The bus was packed!!! I got on at the first stop and it filled up there, after we began to drive I thought we would just have to pass the other stops with people - like in Vancouver. We didn't, it was almost magical how many people we could cram into the bus. When we went up a big hill I didn't think the truck was going to make it. There was alot more traffic now than in the morning too.
 
That evening (last night) we booked a bus to Bangkok, for today. Then I went for a yummy dinner by myself, had a beer, met up with dave again, went to a bar for an expensive drink, then went to bed.
 
Our bus leaves at 2 this afternoon and we get to Bangkok at 5 in the morning. We'll spend a few days in bangkok and actually exlpore it - unlike the first time we were there. And then we are going to Cambodia. We havn't decided if we are going to fly or bus there yet. We heard the bus ride is awful and long - but I've also heard it's really improved in the last few years - so I guess it just depend on how much a plane ride will be. I would have liked to see more places inbetween here and bangkok, and bangkok and cambodia - but we ran out of time =( - (We can't stay in Thailand over Month) But hopefully in my futire here I'll be able to backtrack a little and see what I missed out on this month.
 
Anyway since we are not at Lauras anymore it's a lot harder to upload photos, so I will when I can =( Some of the computers may bee difficult, so the photos might come in small batches, we'll see.
 

Comments

1

Glad I checked out your site here as I can see you are on the move as of right now to Bangkok. Probably why I couldn't get through to David by phone when I tried to call a short while ago. I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures when you get the chance to get them up. Hope all is well with you both....please have fun and be very careful. xoxo

  Bert Jan 25, 2009 5:59 PM

2

Sounds like your having a good time. I closed my eyes half way through this so I could be at the beach with you, lying on the chairs in the sun and snorkeling with you! I also Imagined all those bad monkeys chasing around the poor tourists.
xox
Love you and miss you!

  Miranda Jan 25, 2009 7:20 PM

3

Haha, some of the tourists were egging the monkey's on, I galred at one of the Guys on out boat trip and he turned into my enemy!! He was mean and rude to the monkeys.

And yes Bert, we are now in bangkok, but we also need to renew our calling cards so that could be part of the problem...

  Landon Jan 26, 2009 4:19 PM

4

don't forget---go and see the royal palace!!!!!

  aunty gail Jan 28, 2009 6:23 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.