Existing Member?

bird legs getting bigger

Koh Phi Phi

THAILAND | Friday, 23 January 2009 | Views [638] | Comments [5]

Hello! (Laura we are fine, but this computer won't let me use facebook, so just wanted to say that here=))
 
So currently I am in Phuket, just got here today and it's HOT, probably feel more hot than ever cause im in a southern city with pavement rather than on a breezy island, I can hardly walk cause the sweat on my feet is making me slip in my flipflops!!!
 
We just spent the last 2 days on Koh Phi Phi. WOW. It was so, so sooo beautiful. it has been voted amoung the top most beautiful and desirable places in the world and we can definitely agree. It's the kind of beaches you dream of. At home (Vancouver) when I felt overwhelmed I would close my eyes and hear ocean waves and imagine myself on a beach - This is that beach (beaches) It was perfect!
 
It was suggested to us by Laura and Laurent to get a beach hut on Long Beach. - this was a good idea, it is a nice quiet long beach area with mainly beach huts, and some nice restaurants and dive shops, and picture perfect beach.- but it's out of the way fom party central - which was nice to escape from at the end of the night. Our first day was spent just relaxing, Dave went into the main village and I rested on th beach - warmest water I''ve ever swam in, it was nice to have some along time on the beach. After a late afternoon nap Dave adn I ehaded into th main village - which is rows and rows on cluttered clothing and snack shops, and erstaurants, and then on the beach side rows on bars and beach parties. We didn't get too crazy though =P we had lots and lots of drinks! Went for dinner, and then spent some time on the beach where there was really good fire dancing and lotsa drunk hoes. Haha, Mo you woulda loved it, shake it shake it! The tide was gpoing out in the dark and Dave and I couldnt resist, we didn't swim but the water was sooo warm and we could walk out with the water only up to below our knees for a looong time, it wwas really fun. We were at home and in bed by 12:30! That's my kinda bedtime!
 
The next day we switched beachhuts for a bigger, slightly nicer one and had a relaxing breakfee on the beach. We made out way to the main village for 1:30 for a boat trip we had booked the day before. We were taken in a group of about 25 to our boat. It was a nice big shiny whight boat (not a scary junky one) ahah and we were told to put out sandals in a basket which was left behind, and guided up to the top balcony of the boat. It was really nice, it was open air but had a roof so we wern't baking in the sun, and nice wooden seats with a space under to put our bags. As we left they played an Ipod froma speaker and they had selected the perfect mix of slow summer songs and had it at a good (not too loud for lando) volume. we sat with our feet hanging off the deck, ahhhh
 
Our first stop was at MONKEY BEACH! It was exactly as sounds - monkeys running all along a small shorline with cliffs and trees above! The boat stopped whre it was still deep and then we were taken in 3 loads be a smaller boat to the beach. Each time a small boat arrived the monkeys ran franticley to it, knowing they would be fed. Thjey were crazy! We were warned about no getting close because they bite, devils! But you really couldn't help to be close, they came right up. Most of them were sweet and cute, and noe of them bothered me, but some touriosts when be close, then get scared, the monkeys would sense this and then hiss and run after them, i was kinda funny. - If tehe people ran into the ocean the monkeys stopped at the edge, they didn't want to get wet. hahahaha. Dumb!
 
After that we boated along with some beautiful cliffs and mountains for scer\nery - the most beautiful I've ever seen. Our next stop was at this Huuuge bay. It wasn't really a bay so much as it seemd lke where a whole bunch of cliffs and mountains met and formed a long semicircle. It was about 4 so it was the sun wasn't direct, and it was that nice darker light that yu get around that time - it was good. They anchored and told us now we could snorkel and kayak. Dave and I chose snorkling first! We got our gear ready and stared at each other for a minure, it was cut too see each other then we plopped in from the back of teh boat. Around the boat was swarming with fist sized black and yellow fishies who didn't care at all that all these people wer jumping in! They tickled my legs and arms! I was scared at first to start, but I just startyed breathing froperly then dunked my face in, as soon as I saw the world underneath my fears gave one to facination and exctement! Ang, I don't feel lke describing it right now would justify it. It was light blue water with orange and white coral and ALL KINDS of fish swiming around. So many fish I'de never seen before we suddely all in front of me. My favorite fish was on that was about a foot long, and fat, and it was coloured with the same colours as a peacock - mostly bright blue though. - I saw quite a few of these guys and they reminded me more of exotic birds than fish. We snorkeled in that area and towards the cliffs and I pretend I was a mermaid for a bit. Dave wanted to try Kayaking, so we got out and got on  kayak. It was a lot more fun then I expected! I had a bad experience canoeing when I was 12, so I thought I wouldn't like this, but Davey Donkey made it easy! We paddled into the bay area and along the cliffs, then snorkeled for about 10 more minutes and then left for the next place.
 
Next place we anchord at was a rockey cavey area. We were ancord where it was deep and this time we were told we could either take the small boat to shore or swim. Everyone wanted to swim! We all felt like fsh by this time. We were warned to be carful when we got close to shore, as the rocks and coral were slippery and sharp. So we all jumped in and swam! As we got to shor about half the peo[ple yellepd with pain from the rocks, and the other few, including me tried to stannd, slipped, and bashed their knees! haha after we learnt our lessns we carfulls swam in teh shallow water, over the rocks. We were now on the Island that The Beach was filmed on. We had to pass thru a small rock cav and then walk to teh other side of the island wher we would be picked up and met with our cameras. The walk was beautiful, it was a soft sand trail through some jungle forest and then teh most stunning bay and beach I'v ever seen, surrounded by cliffs! It was breathtaking! A few of us ra into th water and swam until our cameras arrived then played and took photos.
 
(my time is running up on this computer so I'm gonna cut it short a bit) After explorng this area we were taken by small boats to our bigger boat again. We drove to a big open area of water and had a perfect view of the sunset. During sunset we were served fried rice with veggies, and watermelon. It was perfect!
 
After we got back to Phi Phi Dave and I headed to our beach hut with intensions of drinking getting ready then going out to party. - But Davey almost suddenly got really tired, and sick. He ended up puking all night =( Needless to say we didn't g out poor dave. He is still sick today but not so bad. He either caught a bug that his sister had, got food poisoning, or maybe just heat stroke. So he's been sleeping in our phuket hotel all day and I've been explorng on my own, which has been kind of fun, and empowering. I'm trying to take good care of him though, he's being a bit difficult, but I can't blame him, it's scary to be sick in a foreign place. He's doing way better than last night though, so he should be fine by tomorrow. Anyway I've gotta go! I'll hopeflly be able to post some photos in the next 2 days!  Byyeeee =)

Comments

1

I loved reading your story, Landon. I felt like I was there with you. I'm so happy you are both enjoying your trip so much. I'm sorry to hear that David got sick. Hope he is feeling better now. Let me know how he is. Laura was sick (as you know) for a whole night throwing up and generally feeling unwell and didn't feel well for a couple of days. Hopefully this, too, shall pass. Make sure you keep your travel blog up to date...it's really lovely to read. (Tell David once he's feeling better to get his updated.) Love to both of you...xoxo

  Bert Jan 24, 2009 11:37 AM

2

don't swim at night! omg!!!
: ((((

  amy Jan 24, 2009 5:07 PM

3

ps. get better soon eves!

  amy Jan 24, 2009 5:08 PM

4

Hi,
I laughed when I read that you pretended you were a mermaid. The water must have been wonderful! What a glorious holiday you are having. Mo would have fit in nicely as she too is a hoe! Ha ha! Hope you don't get sick. Remember to drink lots of fluids when you're not feeling well. Poor Dave, even 2 days of being sick seems like a waste of holiday time! I thought of sharks when you said you went into the water at night. It spooked me, so don't go in after dark. Bye for now, love yer mamma!

  Karen Jan 26, 2009 4:35 AM

5

hahaah Amy and Mum you are funny. I never even thought of sharks at night! But the water was under our knees! We didn't swim =) .. and won't...

Dave is better, but still a bit dehydrated and malnurished...

  Landon Jan 26, 2009 4:15 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.