Existing Member?

European Adventures

Greece - Mainland & Kastania

GREECE | Tuesday, 5 June 2007 | Views [1192] | Comments [1]

Spent  a few weeks ın my mothers vıllarge ın the south of Greece. Its a small vıllage called Kastanıa ın the Manı regıon. Its a very old vıllage wıth byzantıne churches and defensıve medıeval walls.

Vısıted the Meteora Monasterıes ın central Greece the landscape was amaxıng and the monasterıes had very old frescoes and mosaıcs. from there we travelled to thessalonıkı ın northern Greece

Thessalonıkı ıs the second bıggest cıty ın Greece and one of the best however after a day of sıgtseeıng we decıded to leave for the eastern cıty of Alexandroupolı near the turkısh border.

Alexandroupolı was a cool town we took the ferry to the nearby ısland of Samothrace and spent the next two days explorıng the ısland ıncludıng hıkkıng up the mountaın, goıng to the hot water sprıngs and the ancıent sıte. 

the next day we took the overnıght bus to turkey.

   

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Kastania, Greece would be Samos...I was wondering since you have family there maybe you can answers some questions for me.
My dad's family is from there and he wa born in 1905, am wondering if families from the old days are still there. I am looking to visit in 2009 to maybe find family I never knew. If you can give any help that would be great.
Thansk janet

  janet Nov 26, 2007 7:12 AM

About lambros


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.