Existing Member?

Kyms epic adventures

Chichinecatenango and antigua, Guatemala 1407-16/07

GUATEMALA | Monday, 18 July 2011 | Views [348]

Panahechel is on a lake front, down in a valley.  THe road out of this town in long and windy.  Unfortunately with all the rain we had, the main road out was blocked by landslides.  So we took the longer way out.  Managed to get to Chichinecastengo which had a huge market and brought heaps of stuff.  Had a chocolate and banana crepe (which they tried to flog off as nutella,,yeah right) and headed to antigua.  This is a UNESCO area, cobbled streets, mulicolour houses.  It was very nice and had a good night out dancing salsa or just our stupid jump around like idiots dance.  It was also ladies night, so cheap drinks.

We tried to organise a tour to climb Volcanoe Papacya the following morning and then a spa in the arvo. But cause the tour company rep is clearly not on the ball with trying to make business, I wasnt able to do the morning tour or the spa.  Only afternoon walk.  So we were driving through Guatemala city to get to the volcano.  As we got closer it started pouring with rain.  However our 'dont speak any english" tour leader still took us up and up the most rainy days, with thunder and lightning overhead. 

Luckily nothing occured.  THe climb would of been nice if we could see anything but it was mist and rain.  But it was also eerily cool too.  Anyway down we came soaking wet, cold and not happy.  Headed out to a farmacia to get antibiotics (you can get anything over the counter in Guatemala) then to a cool cuban style resturant.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.