Existing Member?

Kyms epic adventures

San Cristobal (9/7 - 11/7)

MEXICO | Tuesday, 12 July 2011 | Views [374]

Ascending into the mountainous Chipas region we arrived at colonial San Cristobal de las Casa.  IN the middle of the highlands there is massive indigenous culture with women and men in traditional dress.

Awesome place.  Coloured houses, awesome shopping.  The first night we went to an argentinine place for dinner, about 5 different types of meat continually coming out on the plate. Beautiful food, but being not well I couldnt eat much and then after (OMG) the nearest banos please.  We were walking the highly active streets looking at shops, jewerly and my tummy was rumbling away. 

The next day was a free day so we just walked around town, churches, climbing steep stairs (although it was high altitude and I couldnt do it), it was fine weather one minute then pouring with rain the next.  It was a great day.

And then party time.....first salsa lessons.  Not for the faint hearted at first it was just four tourists girls then all of a sudden mexicans came flocking in.  First we were dancing by ourselves then we partnered up. NOw i know how to dance properly with a man.  If they know what they are doing they can lead you soooo easily.  AHHH love these mexicans. Couple of bars later, an evil Mayan sacrifice flaming drink, lots of salsa dancing to awesome bands, cheap cocktails we were having a great time.  Unfortunately both girls were tied with various lovely men (one was gay but fun to dance with) so i was a bit left on my own so smelly little men kept asking me to dance.  but great fun.

Touring two indigenous villages the next day so brilliant, churches and way of life was still so traditional.  The churches were best ive ever seen, full of floweres and candles and pine needles (fire waiting to happen) we heard the sacrifice of a chicken (it crowed and then stopped suddenly), tears, sharmans.  Brilliant.  Colourful markets.  That night again headed out to a reggae bar, jazz music. Both had bands and both brilliant. Loved this place, love the people and australian men could learn a few lessons on how to act with the ladies (oh and dance!!)

Then took a 9 hours journey to leave Mexico and head to Panajachel in Guatamala.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.