Existing Member?

Kyms epic adventures

Palanque (5th and 6th of July), Mexico

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 10 July 2011 | Views [334]

THe lonely planets description is pretty on the ball, it is not much but a stop through town.  But you dont go for the town , you go for the ruins.  The hotel we stayed in was just as ordinary as the town. So at 5.45am Rachel and I got up to do a jungle tour.  IT was raining hard, pitch black and well, couldnt see too much. WE met our guide, Salvador, who suggested we head out in the arvo.  But we figured we had woken up this early, lets do it.  We drove to our walktrail...it was even darker. So we ditched to idea and went back to bed.

At 8am, we got into a taxi and headed to the Palanque ruins.  Awesome.  There were ruins, only 2 percent that have been recovered, in a backdrop of jungle, with mist swirling around.  We could climb them, walk through some or just sit and listen to the birds and watch the iguanas.  Besides the fact I felt like I could faint, it was fantastic. Definetly the better of the ruins in my opinion.  After 2 hrs of touring around, Rachel and I started our jungle trek.  We headed to the forgotten temple, ruins couple of km from the main site.  Along the way we can across a small ferdiland snake (or fernando as I kept calling it), three howler monkeys including a baby whom was practicing jumping branches but kept missing and an awesome waterfall. Rachel had a fall in the muddy jungle, we visited an awesome museum full of artefacts from the ruins then went back to the hotel for a seista. NIght took us to a resturant in the jungle with a band (more like Peruvian music) but some awesome dancers.

Five hours bus ride the next day took us to San Christobel

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.