Existing Member?

Wilson Family Travels Follow the Wilsons as they travel across Europe!

General Impressions of France

FRANCE | Saturday, 28 June 2014 | Views [2143]

Greetings From France -
 
    After seven straight days of weather in the mid-to-upper 90s, reality has set back in.  Last Saturday night a huge storm blew through, thus Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and today have been in the 70s with some clouds and a little rain.  It postponed our canoe trip, which was set for yesterday.  We’re set to go tomorrow, with a zero percent chance of rain and temperatures in the 80s.
 
    We leave for our 8-day Germany trip next Tuesday, Jenny and Mike come for a visit the first week of July, and we’re back in Portland on July 25th.
 
    We found out yesterday that there’s a national rail strike here in France.  Today is the 8th day.  In that we don’t listen to the news on radio or tv and don’t read the paper, we’re pretty unaware as to what is going on locally.  However, with a steady diet of BBC World and CNN International we are aware of the multi-crisis’ facing the world.
 
    Check out the photos.  Marlene and I were in Aubagne last week to visit another doctor regarding her sore left arm, which has bothered her since a beauty salon fall last July.  Anyway, we got a photo of a very typical French movie theatre.  We’ve seen a multi-plex, but the more typical French movie theatre is in the center of the city and small.  Keaka’s hockey team had a season ending party last weekend at an indoor football (soccer) complex.  There’s a photo of Sophia playing (she very much likes to show the boys what she can do), and Sophia taking a breather on the pitch.  There’s a photo that gives you an idea of the five small football pitches under roof.  It seems that most of the football played is played on less than regulation size fields.  There’s also a photo of Keaka playing.  Keaka, the boy from America, was given a tee-shirt signed by his teammates, and he’s holding it in the two photos with his teammates.  And, we took another trip to Luberon the other day (Marlene needed to buy going away presents for her two friends), and Sophia came along and she’s enjoying lunch in a typical French café with mom.
 
    In that we’re nearing the end of our French adventure, we decided to take an inventory of what we like and don’t like here in France.
 
    What we like:
 
    Oranges -  the oranges come from Espana and I have not had an orange that was less than juicy and delicious the entire time we’ve been here – no off season – I wish we could say that in the U.S. -- In fact, let’s make the broad statement that the fruit and vegetables (legumes) have been superb – the strawberries are great and the tomatoes are sensational – so sensational that they don’t even taste like the tomatoes in U.S. grocery stores.
 
    Orangina -  while you can get little glass bottles of Orangina in some U.S. grocery stores, it just isn’t the same – I could live on Orangina – it is best served in plastic bottles – the taste is better than in glass or cans -- Schweppes owns Orangina, which you absolutely can not find in neighboring Italy and Spain – I suppose there’s no marketing push of Orangina in the U.S. simply because they imagine the American consumer just won’t care for it that much – Orangina is everywhere here in France – in fact, it makes Pepsi look like some small little brand.
 
    The Countryside – it is magnificent – there are oceans, mountains, vineyards and on and on.
 
    Caramel – back to food – caramel is possibly are biggest and most surprising find – we first tasted great caramel in the sundaes at McDonalds – then we carefully advanced and ended up buying the jars of caramel in the little store in St. Remy – we can all take or leave caramel in the United States, but it is unforgettable here.
 
    Nutella – the kids report that the Nutella here in France tastes better than in the U.S. – Nutella is also used more prominently here than in the U.S.
 
    French Hip Hop Music – Sophia is the judge here and she claims there is something special to note – more generally, French music is easily forgotten.
 
    Croissants (kwah – sants) – well, for our money the croissants we’ve had in the U.S. are nothing special – but, here in France they are the best 90 cents you can spend – across the board they are fluffy and buttery and sometimes warm – and, never to be forgotten.
 
    Baguettes, cheese and wine – if the baquette is warm, you’ve really struck it rich – we use butter, while the French generally take their baquettes dry – and, while the French eat zillions, we’ve given them up to keep from getting any heavier – the cheese is excellent, all 355 varieties and the wine, all XXXXXXXX varieties works, also.
 
    Auto Routes – the French super highways are very nice – the U.S. has much to learn in this area.
 
    TGV – the French high-speed train is the best – I could ride all day – it’s insulting that the U.S. doesn’t have such a train on the east coast, the west coast and on a spoke design from Chicago – I guess the rich Americans can’t afford the taxes for such things taken for granted here in Europe.
 
    Old Towns – the center of cities and villages dating back hundreds of years have been preserved and they are one of the special features of France, to say nothing of the fountains featured generously.
 
    Kids Friends – Sophia makes special note of the friends she has made here in France, and Keaka, especially, has a group of five boys he has become very close to.
 
    Football and Rugby – the football (soccer) is quite entertaining – it’s still a bad game in my mind, but it’s much easier to understand the world wide phenomenon when you are in the middle of it – and, we’re finding the World Cup on tv to be entertaining – Sophia notes that she likes rugby, which the kids played in school.
 
    Our house – we all agree our house has been perfect for us.
 
    Bicycle – there are three bicycles and Keaka wants it noted that he has really liked having a bike and the situation to use it for transportation.
 
    Lavender Fields – they are a week or so away from peaking, but Marlene is in love with the lavender.
 
    Weather – the weather has been great – we benefited from a mild winter and a delightful spring, apparently quite opposite from last year.
 
     Health System – you can’t beat the simplicity of French medical care and the ability to be just anybody and walk in and get care at a cost unheard of in the U.S. – very refreshing – everybody receives health care – can anybody say the Affordable Care Act?
 
    Paris – it rates with a special note of the fabulous apartment we stayed in over the Christmas holidays.
 
    Travelling – what an advantage to have so many countries and great cities within a reasonable distance – it has worked out absolutely perfectly, with our various trips being a huge highlight of our French adventure.
 
    What we don’t like:
 
    Drivers – drivers in the south of France remain very hard to understand – we were told they are crazy and that may be an understatement.
 
    Impatient People – there are many instances of our French friends being quite impatient – one of a zillion contradictions in the French culture is their impatience in contrast to their moving slowly when it comes to taking hours to eat a meal and having 5-6 weeks vacation each year – how can such impatient people possibly be on vacation so much and generally work so few hours?
 
    Conformity – this is something that is important in the culture, and the kids have noticed how kids all wear the same clothes, always trying to conform.
 
    Coca-Cola – the French simply say “Co – cah” and drink a lot of it – but Coca-Cola fountain soda tastes nothing like it does in the U.S., while for my money the glass bottled Coca-Cola is terrific.
 
    Meat – okay, the meat is different, especially the buoef (beef) – we just can’t eat it – the taste and smell and texture are nothing like we are use to – the rest of the meat if also different, with chicken (poulet) being most similar in both countries.
 
    Parties – Sophia says they go forever – there is some truth to the fact that social events start late and end late, and eating is a slow, methodical part of the social adventure.
 
    Coffee – Marlene reports she simply does not like the coffee, and she has certainly tried enough of it.
 
    School – the report is that kids are generally mean and not very welcoming.
 
    Boys – French boys are quite physical and spend lots of time touching girls, which is totally accepted.
 
    Banks – they cover their windows so you can’t see in – they are closed two days each week and for two-to-three hours at lunch – and, they do not have cash on hand, but they have plenty of paperwork.
 
    Bugs – there are too many during the warm weather – flies and bees and wasps lead the way, with a nice dose of mosquitos.
 
    French culture – this doesn’t belong on a don’t like list, but there deserves to be a special note that we have been surprised at the many cultural differences between Americans and the French.
 
The Wilsons

 

             

About kwilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.