Existing Member?

Wilson Family Travels Follow the Wilsons as they travel across Europe!

Barcelona #4

SPAIN | Saturday, 1 March 2014 | Views [224]

Hello From Espana -

So, we went to the Barcelona Aquarium, which is relatively new and located on the waterfront, much of which is also rather new. They claim this is the largest aquarium in Europe. Not being an expert on aquariums (I miss more than I visit), I’ll accept their claim.

About a three minute walk from the aquarium is a large new building with underground parking that is a shopping and entertainment center. Within in sight of that complex is an old waterfront warehouse that has been renovated into shops and restaurants. There’s also a waterfront World Trade Center (hotel, meeting rooms and offices) and an Olympic Area, that is relatively new with two high rises and other retail and residential space, plus a casino. This area is the area we mentioned earlier that was the home of sailing in the 1992 Olympics. There’s also a very tall and modern-looking “W” hotel on a piece of land extending out into the water.

The aquarium was fine and the kids seemed to really like it. It was based upon underwater life in the Mediterranean. Before you go to look it up, I can tell you that underwater life moves from the Mediterranean into the Red Sea and the Atlantic Ocean and back again, while the Mediterranean has very small tides. I’d like to be able to tell you why on the tides, but I guess we’ll all have to look it up.

Lots of nice photos of fish. The major aquarium had a tunnel running through it, which is fairly visible in the Ken photo. Lots of sharks, which we were able to see from every angle possible. Got a photo of the kids together (those are difficult to get at this age) and a photo of Keaka, in his best form trying to be five years old rather than 13 years old, riding a frog.

The Wilsons

 

             

About kwilson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.