Existing Member?

Europe or BUST I am going to Iceland for 21 days on a volunteer expedition in east Iceland, actually. I will be donating my time to do organic farming with my workcamp. After that I will be on my own to backpack around Europe. Feel free to send me messages !

DAY 7 - Århus, Denmark - A day at Den Gamle By (The old town)

DENMARK | Monday, 28 September 2009 | Views [443]

Today was very cool, in the literal sense as well.  Autumn has arrived and here is the perfect place to be to experience it.  Michal and I took a visit to Den Gamle By, as described here: 

"The old town is a 5-star heritage museum ranking among the best in the world, with her majesty The Queen as patroness. It has 75 historical buildings, gardens, exhibitions, houses, shops and workshops.  The museum is a living and breathing experience of what it was like to live and work in a Danish market town in the old days.  Here you can experience life in the days of Hans Christian Anderson (he was a fairytale writer), and meet the people of yesteryear (they are living history players)."


So yes, this town is VERY old, it is surrounded by the modern city of Århus.  All of the buildings were open for viewing, most rooms had a plexiglass barrier so you could not enter but only view from the doorway. 

CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS - pictures can be found on the right hand side menu when you visit my blog. 

It is quite amazing to me the architecture and the engineering that went into creating these buildings, tools, common items and machines in the workshops and homes.  Some shops were real functioning shops where you could buy food, candy, pastries, and other things that they would have sold in their time. 

I'm glad we went here today, I'm fascinated by antiquity.  After that trip we headed down to the town center to buy some dinner for the evening.  I made a chicken curry dish for both Michal and Ruben (I love chicken curry, I did it for Haffie as well.) and then played a few rounds of UNO with the boys. 

Bed after that, I'm tired.  Traveling has made me fatigued.  I can only think about Norway in a few days, psyched !


Good night.

 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.