Existing Member?

KPowintheworld

Japan Rail Pass- Kyushu

CHINA | Saturday, 1 February 2014 | Views [346]

Smoking! Mt. Aso, view from the museum rest area

Smoking! Mt. Aso, view from the museum rest area

Onward to Kyushu! After much waffling and failed couchsurfing requests (I was way too disorganised for it!) I decided on a vague itinerary: Fukuoka-Nagasaki-Kumamoto-Aso and possibly Kagoshima, depending on if the timing worked out. It didn't, lol. I'll just hit the highlights here to save space and energy.

Fukuoka: meh, nothing exciting.

Nagasaki: lovely hilly/port city, kickass hostel including a party for a returning guest, a French invasion and bonus free breakfast. Penguin darts and pool, lots of wandering and a pretty upsetting experience at the Peace Park Museum.

Kumamoto: Cool castle but nowhere for me to sleep! Rushed onwards.

Aso: Hostel run by the little old lady in Tonari no Tottoro. Pretty creepy when you're the only one staying in a giant hostel in the middle of nowhere! Just one night though and an interesting visit to Mt. Aso the next day. First visit (in my memory) to an active volcano! I could see it smoking but the cable car over the crater was closed due to volcano activity. Ah well.

Beppu: Very cool place! I got to see 3 different multi-coloured  hotsprings (pictured below) before it started absolutely pouring and I decided to call it quits and head onward to my next spot, back to Hiroshima for the night, then Nagoya for two nights.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.