Existing Member?

My Treasure Box My tresure box is full of friends who were once strangers, unexpected beauty upon the path and those who travel with me in the suitcase of my heart. These treasures have brought more meaning and beauty into this wonderful life God has given me.

Beautiful Children

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 13 May 2010 | Views [191]

 

 

We spent the past 5 days with many children.  Today was our last day volunteering at Savong School and Orphanage and as long, hot and hard the days were, I want to go back, especially to the orphanage.  Those kids mean something to me now and I’m going to miss them.

 

It’s hard for me to grasp what it’d be like to grow up without parents. 

The kids overall are smart, motivated, healthy, and happy.  The little ones seem especially hungry for love. I have spent a lot of time with 2 of the youngest girls and they were constantly taking my arms and wrapping them tightly around themselves, sitting on my lap and holding my hands.

 

Most of the kids seem happy and healthy, but its easy to see that they are living in poverty and that several of them suffer from malnutrition, lice, skin rashes, and open soars on their bodies that attract flies and keep them from healing.

 

They sleep on the ground, eat on the ground as 1000s of flies swarm around them, have no fans and wear dirty and holey clothes.

 

But when they smile their whole face smiles.

 

They come learn English before and after regular school every day and no one is telling them to.  They walk for miles under the scorching sun to learn and leave smiling, enthusiastic and proud.

 

They take care of each other, share what they have and are very respectful to their elders.

 

They are beautiful children. 

 

Brian and I gave our time, energy and sweat for only 5 days but we hope to do benefit concerts for the school and orphanage several time throughout the year. We also want to encourage others to visit the school and orphanage themselves.

 

If anyone feels inclined they can support an orphans education for $15 a month, their food for $30 or their living and education for $45.  Please visit www.savong.com for more information.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.