Existing Member?

My Treasure Box My tresure box is full of friends who were once strangers, unexpected beauty upon the path and those who travel with me in the suitcase of my heart. These treasures have brought more meaning and beauty into this wonderful life God has given me.

Bits of my journals reflecting my time thus far in New Zealand

USA | Saturday, 3 October 2009 | Views [172]


9-26

I am lying in a comfy bed in the home of Caril and Brian (wwoof hosts) here in Auckland.  Its almost 3 pm and the sun is so beautiful to me today, probably because its almost midnight in Argentina and 1am at home and the sun shouldn’t be out right now, but it is and it’s golden rays are coming in through the yellow curtains and filling me with peace and love.

9-29

Wwoofing is back to what I know and love it to be.  I love how one paragraph in a book and a few emails opens up the door for me to enter into someone else’s life and become a part of it.  I love living with strangers and becoming friends over dinners that last for hours as we discuss the deepest things of life.  

My life here in Auckland for the past 4 days has been good.  The work different each day consisting of preparing the garden for a new harvest (its spring here), cleaning and up keeping the home and cooking dinner.  I’ve visited Mt. Eden and saw 360 degree views of the city, watched a film and attempted to read more on the history of the Maori people, went out to see a blues band with Caril and Brian, visited the art museum, have walked up and down Queen street and fought to stay up past 9pm every night and sleep past 6am.

I’m happy to be in a home with a couple that loves each other and is one another’s best friends, I hear them laughing now from their bedroom and I hope to carry their happiness into my dreams tonight.

10-1

My soul is aching for the wild like it never has before.  My body needs natures healing, my mind her peace and my spirit her companionship.  I must wait patiently for her embrace as I will be in Auckland for 2 more weeks.

10-3 (I think)

We were supposed to leave Auckland tomorrow, but we got a job.  The job I’ve always dreamed of, well a job I may have dreamed of when I was 16…I’m selling clothes at a big fashion sale.  The first day my boss Leon (whose name fits him perfectly and if you’re picturing a 30 some year old man parading around in tight jeans and a leather jacket fresh out of the tanning bed than you’re right on) anyways Leon told me that my outfit wasn’t fashionable and that I had to buy a brand t-shirt because that’s what’s hot.  He then showed me a t-shirt that looked like it belonged in a Wal-Mart store with the words heart breaker printed across it.  He said I could wear this and not to come back in my corduroy pants (which are my only pants) nor my sandals (and I imagine he won’t prefer my hiking shoes over these).  I told him I wouldn’t spend my money on a shirt I didn’t like and he told me to pick another t-shirt and whizzed away.

Leon then lined us up and told us that we were his money-making girls and that we were here to sell fashion but he didn’t need to tell us about fashion because we are girls and girls don’t need to be told about fashion because that’s what we live for….RIGHT.

So I’ve made it through 2 long days and I have 8 more to go.

If I can make it my next 8 days will consist of waking up, walking an hour to work, working for 8-9 hours, walking an hour home, eating dinner and spending time with Caril and Brian who we are no longer wwoofing with but flat mates for a very generous fee.

Tags: auckland, fashion, wwoofing

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.