Existing Member?

The Global Redhead

Old Ladies, Headphones and a theory on grey hair.

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 3 November 2010 | Views [233]

She gave me the meanest stare I've had in a while. I smiled nervously and looked away, continuing my walk down the street, still feeling her gaze burn into the back of me like a stab from behind. The person in question was a small old lady, wrapped in around 2,000 blankets with a headscarf on and sat in a wheelchair. She was ancient and wearing the type of glasses where each lense looks like the bottom of a thick beer bottle, only serving to magnify her stare as it bored into me.  I could tell what she was thinking - 'impertinent youth'. Now I can hardly be classed as a youth anymore, but I guess with my massive wooly hat, scruffy jeans, huge Skullcandy headphones and an over-the-shoulder satchel, she could have been mistaken. And afterall, anyone would have appeared young compared to her.....

 

It got me thinking though, when we reach that kind of age (if we do), and we look at people in their young years, how will we think of them? Will we long for those years back, mutter that youth is wasted on the young and complain that people take their health for granted? People advise that we should grow old gracefully, but to be honest, I don't think anyone does! So much emphasis is placed on looks and being youthful, that every single wrinkle and grey hair is attacked with about a million advertising campaigns and products to destroy it!

 

So there I was, walking as fast as possible away from this crazy old women in a wheelchair who was giving every young person a look to rival the type of harshness usually reserved for Victoria Beckham. I trundled along with Kelis's 'Acapella' bouncing around my head from the Skullcandy's and tried not to think too much about getting old. It's a scary thought for me - I'm not up for it at all.

 

On a brighter note, I'm feeding my travel bug again soon!!

About kooju


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.