Existing Member?

South America

Huancayo, Peru

PERU | Wednesday, 19 December 2007 | Views [578] | Comments [2]

Left Trujillo on can´t remember what day, caught an overnight bus to Lima. In Lima the best burger was to be found LOL.. sold from a white van on one of those middle of the road islands. If you´re hungry it is across the road from the Cruz Del Sur bus station on Javier Prado.

Then onto another overnight bus to Huancayo. Overnight buses are a good way to save money.... the only thing is trying not to spend the whole day eating!

The road to Huancayo was a bit windy and must´ve been quite steep because some people got sick on the bus. (Got tingly limbs like I do when I´m flying). The road apparently rose to 4000m before dropping into the valley. Huancayo is the poorest city I´ve seen so far. All my loose change is fast disappearing into the hands of people on the street. As well as whatever I happen to be stuffing into my gob at the time. There was one girl selling lollies who looked about the same age as Aysia (4 yrs) Oh my gosh!!! And many old people sitting on the street with their hands held out. This is a difficult place to be if you have a soft spot for the poor and not enough money to give (not if you want to survive yourself anyway).

If you like rice pudding there´s an old lady who sells a delicious flavour on Av. Piura for 1 sole. I think its called morada or something.. a bowl of half rice pudding and half fruit sauce tasting stuff. Her stall is only set up after dark, around 7:30pm or later.

Heading out to work for in an orphanage on Thursday. Will be there for a month or so.

Tags: People

Comments

1

what orphanage will you be working at?
Interested in volunteering in Huancayo as well.

Thanks!

  Jo Dec 21, 2007 12:58 AM

2

PeruForYou. Thanks!

  koleta Dec 23, 2007 5:25 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.