Existing Member?

South America

Trujillo, Peru

PERU | Friday, 14 December 2007 | Views [576]

Hola! I´m now in Trujillo, Peru. Since the last entry I´ve travelled back north through Ecuador and headed south around the coast through Pedernales, Canoa, Bahia, Guayaquil, Cuenca and Vilcabamba again. Canoa is ok but overall the coast wasn´t that great. Ecuador´s highlands are definitely more interesting.

Vilcabamba is a great place to unwind and give your ears a rest from all the traffic. If you go there, stay at Le Rendez-Vous. Everything about the place is fantastic and it´s cheap! And also recommended are a back massage from Lola at Shantas up the road, and a facial from Karina in the main square.

Finally crossed into Peru after 2 months in Ecuador. Was pickpocketed in Piura 15 minutes after arriving... Welcome to Peru LOL! Headed out of there quick smart, down the coast to Chiclayo and Trujillo. The coastal landscape is dramatically different to Ecuadors.. desert and poverty. In the urban areas the cars here are hilarious to watch and ride in, it´s as if they´re playing dodgems on the road. I don´t think there are any give way rules, you just need to keep your eyes peeled and your brakes working.

Peruvians so far are quite friendly - except for that pickpocket! I´m having a bit of trouble understanding their spanish accent and vocab but am slowly unfolding the mystery.

The ruins around Trujillo are very interesting and worth looking at. Totally fascinated by the Moon Temple.

I´m now at the beach in Huanchaco near Trujillo which is nicer than the beaches I saw in Ecuador. Definitely worth a visit, only 1 sole on a B minibus from Trujillo. Accommodation´s cheap but food not so much. Will be heading to Huancayo via Lima soon to do some more voluntary work.

Sorry haven´t posted any photos lately.. been too busy laying in hammocks!

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.