Existing Member?

Turkey - India - Nepal - China...

Surprising Katmandu !

NEPAL | Saturday, 25 November 2006 | Views [795] | Comments [2]

We have spent now some time here in Katmandu. This town grew very fast during last 50 years (not so long time ago it was a village).

According to the legend and archeology, there was a huge lake where is now Katmandu. It is so flat that we could wonder if it is really the country of the highest summits of the world.

Temples are everywhere. Little and big ones, at all corners of streets and for all Hindu gods, and all representations of Buddha.

Hinduism and Buddhism are SO mixed that one can see Buddha and a Hindu god in the same temple. Strange...people seem to have 2 religions. Today we where in a buddhist place. It was full of Hindu people.

many of us get sweet feelings when hearing the word Katmandu. The reality is a bit less romantic. A big pollution fog surround the city, the river Bagmati is the place where all kinds of trash arrive and the noise (symphony?) of horns just makes me crazy !!

We live now in Freak Street, the place in Katmandu where all hippies where gathering and resting after a long trip through Asia.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

salut nico, bon voyage...? t'a de la veine... bon je t'embrasse, te souhaite plein de bon, pri pour nous, on pri pour toi amn . salut

  oliv Dec 19, 2006 11:02 PM

2

Yeah, Kathmandu is one of the craziest city of Nepal. Highly populated and polluted. But it still retains the charm for tourists to view places like World Heritage Sites located in Kathmandu - Bouddha, Syamabhu and others. Getting away from Kathmandu takes you the real Nepal. Many tourists spend a few days in Kathmandu to rest and relax and then head for trekking or holidays in pokhara or jungle safari in Chitwan.

Kathmandu, as for me, is a place to get to, then when you have rested, get out of it, go to the remote parts of Nepal and "Experience the Real Nepal"

  bhupen Mar 13, 2007 3:10 PM

About kokoricooo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.