Existing Member?

Everywhere and Everywhere else Who says that the adventure stops once you have kids?

Part One: Adventuring with small children

BOLIVIA | Saturday, 3 November 2007 | Views [661]

We have been travelling overseas with SB since he was 6 months old. He is already a seasoned traveller at the ripe old age of 4, as he has travelled to the States several times to see his grandparents and took one memorable trip to Australia (32 hours door-to-door at 16 months!)

Friends have asked me how we do it. Well, you just do. If you are planning on flying with small children in the near future, here is what I have learned over the past few years:

Babies: This is the easiest age (since they can't walk, you are not going to be running around the plane after them !) Have enough diapers, formula, and take some medicine with you. SB had his first fever somewhere over the Atlantic and we did not have any medicine with us. Not a situation where we could actually pull off and buy some.

1-2 years old: Get ready to do some walking. Once you accept that you will be moving around and not watching the movies, it is not that bad. Have a pacifier or a bottle on hand for the take offs and the landings to help with the pressure on the ears. Take a couple changes of clothes, too. There is normally baby food on board but I always carried extra just in case.

Seatbelt sign. There is no negotiating on this one. If it is on, they have to be sitting and buckled up. We turned it into a game. We race to see who sees that it was turned on first and who can buckle up the fastest.

2-4 The age of reason. Explain a few days before that you are going to take a plane and tell them what is going to happen (check-in, security, take-off, etc.)and what you expect of them. (good behavior, of course!) As a reward, tell them that you have some surprises prepared (more on the goodie bag later.) 

 If your child is being or has just finished being potty trained, believe me, he or she will still be at the same stage when they get to their destination. Do not hesitate to give them pull-ups for the trip. If the plane has just taken off and your kid turns and says she has to pee, there is nothing you can do about it. (hence, why it is important to bring the extra clothes.) 

I give SB chewing gum as a treat during take-off and landing, helps with the ear pressure.

Goodie bag: observe a week before you leave what toys are being most actively played with. When picking them up, and if they are travel adaptable, put them aside for the trip. Stickers work well, as do crayons with paper. I also have toys packed that he has never seen. Remember, a busy child is a happy traveller.

If you will be transiting, bring some ballons to blow up. They are light and easy to pack. Only blow up one, and go to an area where there are not alot of people sitting. The child can work off some of his energy and if it does hit another traveller, it is more of a bother then a real injury. (why take several? what happens when his toy explodes? He explodes. Believe me, take a couple extra.)  

Do take some snacks. If you are stuck on the runway for a couple hours, make sure you have something solid (bread, bananas...) to tide them over. The hotesses can bring you water if you need it.

 

            

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.