Existing Member?

Round The World Adventures "The rewards of the journey far outweigh the risk of leaving the harbour"

You gotta love New York!

USA | Monday, 12 November 2007 | Views [432] | Comments [1]

It was a culture shock almost to go from the historic city of Copenhagen to the hustle and bustle of a more modern New York, though it has it´s own history.

What can you say about New York?  Well I can say ´The City that never sleeps´ is an apt title.  I was absolutely shattered after 4 days trying to cram as much sightseeing in as possible.  I should have known 4 days wouldn´t be enough time, but it´s a good excuse to go back.  Despite the crowded pavements around Times Square, which is in fact a triangle, I loved hanging out there.  It´s the quintessential New York with the countlesss neon lights which is actually a city requirement.  Even the Police Dept has to have neon lights atop their premises.  It´s buzzing with life 24 hours a day and you can´t help but be excited by it´s energy.

Another place I would love to have explored more but ran out of time, was Central Park.  What I did see of it was beautiful this time of year with the leaves on the trees changing colour.

A downside to travelling in America these days is security, particularly noticeable to me visiting the Empire State Building and the boat trip out to view the Statue of Liberty.  You queue for ages to have your backpacks, handbags, coats and yourself x-rayed.  It takes longer to get up to the viewing balcony on the 86th floor of the Empire State Building, than it does to walk round the whole balcony a couple of times taking photos!  The joys of travelling!

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Did you go out at night?
Steve and I had one night in New York and we slept through and missed the whole bloody thing!!...too much partying in the UK.
x

  Lynne P Nov 27, 2007 2:50 PM

About kiwigypsy


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.