Existing Member?

Travels in the Blogging World

Christchurch to Franz Josef

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 3 October 2009 | Views [372] | Comments [1]

+Tomato ketchup has a clove taste to it.

+New Zealanders seem to have adopted the British love of Indian food. Lots of Indian restaurants. Not many Mexican restaurants.

+Found a wonderful kiosk selling sausages, run by an East German guy who didn't speak a word of English when he came to New Zealand. Is now running his own business.

+The earthquake in Samoa resulted in a small tsunami on the beaches of Christchurch (only 1 meter high).

+Many restaurants seem cold. Several I've kept my jacket on while eating!

+Found a trinket box to add to my collection: made of coconut and contains a maori-inspired pendant (I suspect it's made in China, but oh well, what isn't these days!).

+Caught the bus to Lyttleton, which as the name implies was "lyttle".

+Enjoyed an eccles cake in Lyttleton!!

+Lyttleton is the home of Joe Bennett, newspaper columnist Joe Bennett, who wrote Land of Two Halves in which he hitchhiked round NZ. I read the book as "research" before coming here. Like Bill Bryson, only not as good.

+Caught the TranzAlpine train from Christchurch to Greymouth. Described as one of the greatest train journeys in the world.

+Train journey went via snow-capped mountains, alpine foothills, Canterbury Plains, the Waimakariri Gorge,up to ARthur's Pass (737 meters high), through the Otira Tunnel, then through rainforests of the west coast.

+Train trip was 231 km, included 19 tunnels and took 4 1/2 hours.

+Enjoyed a free Devonshire Cream Tea on the train.

+From the train, I rode the bus for four hours to Franz Josef, home of Franz Josef Glacier.

+It rains in Franz Josef 180 days a year. Today is one of those days.

+Enjoyed a lovely dinner of roast pork and apple sauce with crackling!

+In Nepal, it's called trekking, in the US and England, it's called hiking, in New Zealand, it's called tramping. +Hope to visit the glacier today.

Comments

1

Hi Valda
We drove the Greymouth to Christchurch route and like you found it to be an enjoyable and interesting journey. We went to the Fox Glacier but I am sure they are both very similar. We are looking forward to your report on the Glacier.
How is the plug hole experiments going??!!
Lots of Love
Paul and Janet

  Paul and Janet Oct 4, 2009 7:03 PM

About kiwicadence


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.