Existing Member?

Travels in the Blogging World

Franz Josef to Queenstown

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 5 October 2009 | Views [337]

+Poured with rain the whole day in Franz Josef, so didn't walk out to the glacier. Figured I must have seen glaciers in Nepal and didn't fancy a good soaking.

+Guided glacier hikes involve going up 200 ice steps.

+Bought a local newspaper and read that instead.  Really enjoy the newspapers here.  They're written like English ones.  Wandered from cafe to cafe.  Talked to my roommates from Bangladesh and the Maldives(!). The woman from the Maldives says owing to global warming, her country may well be under water 50 years from now and completely disappeared.  Hmmm...

+Needed a day to relax anyway after the constant moving from town to town.

+Took bus from Franz Josef to Queenstown.  The drive was spectacular with each and every turn bringing a picture perfect view.  Amazing, spectacular, beautiful, impressive, OK, you get the idea. 

+Snow-capped mountains, lakes, rainforests, ocean, waterfalls, a salmon farm, deer, sheep. This region is included in the Southwest New Zealand World Heritage Site.

+One of the most beautiful drives I've ever taken.

+Had an amazing bus driver George, who gave a running commentary non-stop on every thing from flora, fauna, photosynthesis, possums, and even managed to include blood pressure readings! I intend to send a letter of praise to InterCity buses.

+Saw the site of A.J. Hackett's first bungy jumps.

+Stopped in beautiful Wanaka, a nice little town by the lake.

+Arrived in Queenstown to see people hang-gliding off the mountain.

+Love Queenstown, the adventure capital as it's nicknamed.  Beautiful lake, beautiful views of the snow-capped Remarkables mountains, cute little town with shops, cafes, and restaurants, delightful lakeside walk.  I think Queenstown is my favorite place in NZ so far.

+Checked in at the Youth Hostel, which has fabulous views of the lake and mountains from the kitchen and lounge.

+Walked around town and had a Japanese meal.

+New Zealand folk say "No worries" like the Australians do (or maybe it's Australians here saying it and I think they're New Zealanders?).

+Desserts in restaurants here seem very over-priced.  The "entree" here is the appetizer, the main course is "mains".

+Off to do the gondola ride in Queenstown today.

About kiwicadence


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.