Existing Member?

Nicholas & Kathryn go AWOL

Egypt

EGYPT | Wednesday, 28 October 2009 | Views [288]

Egypt is simply wow! We spent 11 days on a Busabout one way trip of Egypt and had a blast. Arrived into Cairo late on which was Day 1 to a busy airport but luckily were met by a rep who took us to our hotel. Next day we met all of the group and headed to the Egyptian Museum where we saw some highlights including the funary treasures of boy King Tutankamon. His head piece was 11kg of solid gold..... next stop was the pyramids at Giza and the Sphinx. It felt very surreal to be there after years of wanting to go. They lived up to my expectations. We also went down into a tomb which felt more like a sauna so hence why only the dead hang out down there!!! Took an overnight train to Aswan from Giza which was horrid. We later found out that the drivers were striking so were unexpectadly stopping on the tracks throwing us forward. This was so we would compain....Turns out a week later there was a collision on this exact train track, we felt so lucky it wasn't us. We had a lovely hotel in Aswan, saw some temples and the enormous high dam. We then spent two nights on a felucca sailing down the Nile. We also swam in the Nile which everyone told us not to do but our guide Hany insisted it was ok so we went with it!!! Next stop was back up to Luxor to stay the night and alng the way visited some more temples. Next day we saw Luxor,Hatshepsut and Karnak Temple. We also went to the Valley of the Kings and down some more amazing tombs. As you will read we visited a heap of temples!!! We drove to Hurghada for the night and then caught the ferry to Sharm El Sheik and a bus on to Dahab where we spent our last three nights. We went for a camel ride in which my camel did the bolt on me and I was bobbing up and down away from the rest of the group whilst the Bedween men didn't seem particularly bothered!! My camel was not tied to anyone elses so he felt like he could do what he wanted!!! After that we went snorkelling in the Blue Hole, one of the most famous snorkelling and diving spots in the world. It was one of oy favourite things so far, the water was clear and coral so bright and the fish were amazing. All different sizes and colours. Saw Nemo and Dory even!!! Went back to the hotel for rest as that night we were up at 11:30pm to drive to Mt Sinai which we would climb to see the sunrise. It was breathtaking as it rose over the mountains. I've seen plenty of sunsets but not sunrises, this one was the best! We made our way down extremely tired and had a quick look at St Katherine's monastary. We were supposed to be going quad biking in the afternoon but were too tired so slept instead. Left Egypt late afternoon on Day 11 and headed for Blegium, land of beer and chocolate. We recommend Egypt to everyone, it was such a fun experience, bought way too many souvenirs but it is all worth it.

About kiwi_kids


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.