Existing Member?

Kerry's New Zealand Escape "Life is like fine wine. You'll enjoy it much more if you share it with others."

Strange Things...

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 18 October 2007 | Views [7228] | Comments [7]

NZ has a lot of weirdness in the country. Here is a listing of some of things I find odd (ok, I'll be nice - just different).

]1. New Zealanders LOVE their beet "root". Yes, the purple veggie. They put it on EVERYTHING, including sandwiches, salads, and burgers. no, they don't eat pickeled beets tho.

2. Pop = fizzy drink. They don't know what pop is.

3. It is a headache ordering a coffee around here. You can order: Flat White Short or Long Black -- they don't get the concept of just coffee and MILK. Now my morning coffee is a half cup of coffee filled up with whipped milk. (Latte)

4. Skim milk = Trim milk

5. Trash can = Rubbish bin (Garbage is rubbish)

6. They don't have Dentyne gum. Just discovered that today.

7. Everyone knows that NZ drives on the wrong side of the road but they have a weird driving law. I'll explain it in our side of the road language so as not to confuse too much. -- If you are turning RIGHT and there is a car facing you wanting to turn LEFT into the lane you are headed for, you MUST let the left turning car turn first.

8. Although I forgot to check the way our toilet water flushed before I moved, it doesn't really matter bc NZ toilets don't really have turning water like ours. It's more of a woosh and there it goes. Toilets do have two flushing buttons - one's a "half" flush, the other a "full" flush. Not sure what the difference is yet.

9. Flip flops = Jandles

10. McDonalds always have regional favourites. Nz is no different. -- Kiwi Burger: burger with an egg and beets, as well as meat. -- The Boss Burger: not sure what this one is as I heard of it today.

*** New Note: I tasted the kiwi burger a few weeks ago. I will not order another one anytime soon. It's kinda like you're eating a breakfast sandwich because of the egg AND a burger for dinner. On top of it all, the beet root as a garnish is kinda weird. I'm not a fan of boiled beets so it ruins the taste. I have't seen this "Boss Burger" in a restaurant. I think the girl that told me made it up. BUT on a happier note, they throw avocado on some burgers! YUM! I luv avocado and it's so plentiful here. Very cheap too - low low price of 74 cents NZ the other day which amounts to 57 cents CAD.

11. No thanksgiving in NZ. Thanks for the turkey b4 I left mom.

12. Subway has a Lamb with Mint Sauce sub. It's a new sub that the New Zealanders apparently asked for. I will try it soon... not sure about mint sauce tho.

** New note: I bought a lamb and mint sub the other day. It was odd. The lamb was slightly dry and the mint sauce was minty! Go figure. I put pickles and black olives on the sub, along with onions and lettuce (my sub staples) Probably not the most ideal toppings cuz it was an interesting taste.

13. Kindergarten is daycare over here. Children complete "Years" in school, not grades. There is still Year 13 in NZ.

14. There are a lot of pie shops in NZ. Pies...such as chicken pie, mince pie, steak pie. They also call the dessert pies pies. Confusing, yes.

15. Tank top = Singlet

16. AHHHHH choooooooo!!!! In NZ all you hear is silence after a sneeze. No one says bless you.

Tags: Travel Tips

Comments

1

Mmmm steak and cheese pie. I had one for lunch

  Chris Oct 18, 2007 3:49 PM

2

Enjoyed your "observations" ... I am sure Seinfeld would be proud.

I would think the full flush would be the equivalent of a double flusher (you're a girl and may not comprehend that concept)... is this too x-rated for this blog ?

  Mr.W Oct 29, 2007 5:52 AM

3

That weird give way thing actually makes sense for folk driving on the left side of the road. It is, in part, intended to allow the car turning right (facing an oncoming car turning left) to have the right of way......otherwise you have a left-turning car with the right of way over a right-turing car....which is inconsistent with the principle of giving way to the right.

That aside, NZ also has a lot of two-lane roads....and clearing the cross-traffic allows you to maintain flow in both directions more evenly and makes more sense than letting dozens sneak around the corner.....while all oncoming traffic would have to wait for them to do so.

  Steve Withers Jan 30, 2008 12:45 PM

4

at least they dont say anything, rather than pulling a south park "science bless you" lol

   CJ M May 18, 2012 7:54 AM

5

:) I believe you are referring to NZers driving on the correct side of the road not the wrong side!
Pop is a term I haven't heard since the 60s!
Toilet flush design is based on water conservation ideology, 1 for a small job, 2 for a ....you can guess.
A singlet is a girls top. The male version is a wifebeater.
The term trash is predominantly only used in North america. The majority of countries use rubbish, same as sidewalk ia a variation of footpath
The manner of giving way to traffic turning right has now been eradicated and not before time.
Agree with the coffee bit!
Interesting critique!

  Ima Wright Sep 7, 2012 11:12 AM

6

um, wow... so you came to New Zealand, didn't like beetroot...? well fair enough..
but then all
you ate was mc Donald's and subway.. why did you bother going?
why didn't you just stay in the US?

  Jo Oct 5, 2013 6:19 PM

7

um have to agree with Jo, if you came to eat macdonalds and subway why bother.
lamb is eaten with mint sauce not all the others, ask a kiwi. two buttons on the toilet for water conservation, you forgot to mention... the friendly people, the wonderful fresh food and the beautiful scenery. :)

  maria May 13, 2014 1:36 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.