Existing Member?

Kerry's New Zealand Escape "Life is like fine wine. You'll enjoy it much more if you share it with others."

Introduction to New Zealand

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 8 October 2007 | Views [1145] | Comments [7]

HI Everyone!! Here I am - finally in New Zealand!

Went to the airport with my fam last Tuesday to catch my flight. Obviously I was over the baggage limit by a LOT but my mommie was nice enough to pay the overage fees...hehe. Trust me, lugging around 3 heavy suitcase is NOT fun but a girl has to be prepared! The flight to California was soo pretty with the mountains in the distance. I had a 3 hour layover in San Fran. Boring, until I met a NZ guy who was flying back home. We chatted so passed the time quickly.

The flight to NZ was looong (13 hours) and uneventful since it was nightime. The only negative was that they served dinner on the plane when we got on, which was 2am my time! I declined to eat and then had to wait 10 hours until breaky. Boo. But breaky was delish and free (the lunch meal to San Fran cost me $6 for a sandwich! Cheap Air Canada). Hopped off the plan in NZ and gathered up my luggage so made my way to the shuttle to my hostel. Luckily, met a girl (Ellie) on the bus who is now my travel buddy.

Got to the hostel around 7am so I couldn't check in until 1pm. I hung around this seedy internet cafe which is now my best friend. The hostels are located in a crappie part of the city. Beside us there is a "massage parlor". Apparently prostitution is legal in NZ. Who knew. I guess that's my fall back if I can't get another job lol. KIDDING! Finally checked in and the descriptions of hostels are true. They're gross. Of course, my blanket came ready to use with a brown stain on it. Sweet. I have learned to embrace hostel life now...it's not quite as shady as I once thought. I still need to get moving on getting a job and finding a new home.

So far, Ellie and I have just been travelling around the city, shopping, eating. We went out to the hostel bar the past 2 nights which was ok. Not like clubs in Tdot anyway. Went to Waiheke Island a few days ago and discovered paradise. Our plan is to get a hostel there for a week or so and do some biking, kayaking, etc. Today we are going to travel around the city some more and do some sightseeing.

Until next time...

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Kerry,
The pictures are great. Uncle Dennis kept saying, where is this, where is that, to the pics that you don't say anything. Oh well!!
Do all the traveling you can. You may never get a chance like this ever again. Great that mom&dad let you do this extraordinary trip.
Hope you find a job soon. Until next time.

LUV U,
Aunt Candy & Uncle Dennis

  Aunt Candy and Uncle Dennis Oct 8, 2007 8:51 AM

2

"Kiwi-Kerry" - glad you're using my nickname for you girlie! lol
- I think we took for granted our daily convos at work...and suddenly the dream comes true and you're off to Aussie-land for a whole year!
Please keep updating everyone / posting on here, I miss you tonnes

JM

  Jenn McCarthy Oct 13, 2007 7:45 AM

3

Hi Kerry: I told you you'd make friends fast! You're not even off the bus and you met a travel buddy. Looks like you are having a good time. It is so neat to get to follow your journey! Awesome. Job-Schmob. Just get a part-time job that you can make tips and that will give you more time for exploring and meeting that rich husband...

Nancy

  Nancy Couture Oct 15, 2007 7:00 AM

4

There's no tipping in NZ!! (Chris told me that but I had to sound smart)

Looks like you're having a great time :)

  Stacy Flicker Oct 16, 2007 10:18 AM

5

Hi Kerry,
Can't imagine where our first message to you went, so will try once more..... So happy you arrived safely and have made friends quickly. The photos are fab and fun to watch for from you. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!!!

Love, Gram and Ed.... Tuesday, October 16, 2007

  Shirley Worrall Oct 17, 2007 12:32 AM

6

Get a job you slug!!

Luv dad >8-)

  Bob Vasiliauskas Oct 17, 2007 6:57 AM

7

Keep those photos coming....luv to hear about your adventures.... and those "beets"... wow, I would do just great there, but bet I would have them all using my recipe for the pickled ones!!! Saw Jo-Anne's ABBA Gold Live show on Friday night in Connestogo... fabulous and counting.... she was asking about you and sends her best wishes to you.... she made a few new costumes for the group and they dug out a few of the less popular pieces of music this time... really great... the whole group was in Dubais in September and put on seven shows.... getting more popular all the time. Wouldn't it be great if their agent managed to book them into New Zealand???? :) Keep hoping.....
So glad you are enjoying everything. Take care, and Ed sends his best also.

Love, Gram and Ed....

  Shirley Worrall,Monday, Oct. 22, 2007 Oct 23, 2007 3:57 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.