Existing Member?

Chumleys tales across the globe

Christmas in a bikini, falling out of tree houses and SNOOP DAWGG

INDIA | Saturday, 7 January 2012 | Views [1023]

bad santa

bad santa

This blog is AGAIN very overdue, but its rather hard to find the time to write out here when there is so much fun to be had!! I promised myself I'd do it though, so I will!! (although I may have to summarise, memory of an elephant!!!)

So Vicky and I had FINALLY arrived in Goa...after a rather sticky train journey with no food and very little to drink, we had much anticipation for our party and beach frolicking destination!! We shared a taxi to the party town named Anjuna...our home for the Christmas period was an 8 bed dorm called Anjuna palms sharing with a bunch of fellow travelling party peeps like ourselves. We spent the first evening with a couple of South African guys...made our way past all the market stalls down to the beach (where all the bars are!!) to check out the scene. After dodging various bars blaring out the old psy-trance (something you cannot avoid in Goa, and just have to get used too!) we arrived at a bar called Lilliput playing music more along the lines of house and techno, and immediately felt right at home!! Being a girl in India really works out at times...I was constantly supplied with cigarettes and drinks, and made my first discovery of the local beverage FENNY, which we naturally translated to FANNY...so it was the case of "FANNY AND COKES" all round!!

The following day was Crimbo eve. Spent the day on the beach soakin up the rays (this is probably what we did everyday except when we were too hungover to move!!)...and then met up with everyone from our hostel to watch the sun set over the sea in a restaurant called TANTRA which was set in the palm trees (literally tree houses) overlooking the beach. It was DIVINE!! We then got doled up for the night and hit a bar called hippies, where we reunited with our indian friend Abi (we love abi, he is literally the happiest man in the world, and radiates sunshine...YES sunshine!!!)......after various drinkypoos we began to meet more travellers and came across a couple of lads from B'ham. Ended up partying with them til dawn and running down the street hugging random indians singing Crimbo songs full of festive cheer. We even adopted a street dog for the day, as it had followed us all the way from our hostel down to the beach. We named it SNOOP. SNOOP DAWWWGGG...

Christmas day was a bit of a write out!! With the intention of staying up all day in Tantra getting pissed with Will and George (bham boys)...we managed to fall asleep in one of the tree houses. When we awoke George proceeded to mention how dangerous he thought these tree houses were (they were about 12ft high with only a very steep laddar to get down!)...whilst doing so, he managed to miss a step and fall to floor with a loud thud...severely bruising, maybe even cracking a rib!!! To make matters worse when we left to go home, George who was diabetic collapsed and hit his head on a stone statue of Budha.......I nearly pooed my pants, I literally thought he was a goner!! but thank god his mate Will knew what to do and he was ok...was a bit of scare though, and after this fiasco I think we all felt ready for bed so said our goodbyes and hit the hay!

Vicky and I managed to get up to party again in the eve though! It wasnt particulary exciting...I gave a beggar woman my christmas hat (my one charitable deed of the season!!)...and we met some guys from London who shaporoned us around for the night, before returning home for some much needed sleep...                   

Anjuna itself was very much a touristy place, and did not really feel like the India we had just been in, or seen or heard of in the media. However it was refreshing to finally be in a place where we could meet people, eat the food without the anxiety of having the shits, and enjoy an alcoholic beverage!! The beach was nothing special, but it was a beach nonetheless. The most hilarious thing about it was the fact that hundreds of stray cows were left freely to rome. A cow on a beach....who would have thought??!! You would happily be dozing on a sun lounger to be rudely awoken by a cow licking your ear. They also would all sit down together in groups by the bus stop. Vicky would yell "haaaa, look at all the cows waiting for the bus...." It really was quite hilar!!!

After Christmas we had a couple of quiet days as we awaited the rest of the crew to arrive and for Sunburn festival to commence... 

to be continued...

About kittychumley


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.