Existing Member?

My Way To capture every aspect of my journeys along the Caminos de Santiago. From planning to walking to home again, I want to record the feelings, insights, experiences and transformation that occur for me every step of The Way.

The Quick and Dirty Update

SPAIN | Thursday, 17 May 2012 | Views [338] | Comments [2]

Hello All!

Day 21: Salamenca (HALF WAY TO SANTIAGO!!!)

Not much time to write today...so quick and dirty it is!

As you know, Bea has left us to travel further north. On the same day, Juan and I chose to walk 34kms while Peter opted for a shorter journey, so now it is just Juan and me. It´s all good, we make a very good dyad. We travel mostly in silence, which suits me just fine, and at an incredible pace. Truly, I can´t believe how quickly we get around. We are often the first peregrinos to reach the albergue each day now, but it´s not like it´s a race for us. This is just our natural pace. I tried walking with Peter for a couple of hours one day and, now that I am well, found it more exhausting to walk slowly. My hips hurt afterward...I have heard other pilgrims say that they, too, have to walk their natural tempo, else it causes them to become tired more quickly and it´s true. So, Juan and I keep a steady, quick pace that works for us and at the end of the day we pat each other on the back and give thanks for another beautiful day. No matter how quickly we travel, though, my eyes are constantly roaming the countryside and my camera is within easy reach. I always, always make time for picture taking and soaking in the beauty around me. The wild flowers are exploding in the bright green fields. The sky has been blue and cloudless, now, for three days. Life couldn´t be better. It has been beautiful!

Walking north in Spain is like moving north in Ontario...the further north you go, the cooler it gets. Yes, it reached 30C here in Salamenca today, but the mornings have been very cool, only 9 or 10C and it's very comfortable for walking as the day warms up. I am thankful I held on to my coat, as I was prepared to mail it ahead, but I´ve been warned that it may get cooler yet the further north we go. So, I carry it with me still. 

Good news! Juan has decided to travel with me as far as Ourense! Originally his plan was to walk to Astorga, then head home. But, with some persuasion from me, he has changed his mind. He has only until May 31st in this part of his country, so, in order to make it to Ourense on time, we have decided to take the bus to Zamora tomorrow and skip two long, and I´m told monotonous, days of walking there (38kms x2). Therefore, we will continue to walk together for the next 12 days. Blessings, Spirit! This is good news for me in other ways, too. It means that, once I reach Santiago de Compostela, I will be able to continue west for another 3 days to visit the coast in Finesterre, then a fourth day to Muxia. Finesterre was once considered the edge of the world, to the Spanish, and, the sunsets are supposed to be breathtaking. I am thankful for this opportunity. I will still have time, after that even, to return to Salamenca to visit Beatrice for the weekend or else visit Barcelona for a couple days (I've not yet decided) before heading to Paris. The Universe is, indeed, conspiring on my behalf!

So that´s it for now. I´ve got to run, er, walk fast!

I hope this finds you all well! Loving you so, very, very much...

Kim

 

Comments

1

The purpose of life is the expansion of happiness and the ability to love and have compassion. Keep one foot in front of the other....Keep smiling....Love You

  Mum May 20, 2012 11:44 AM

2

I love reading your blog, it makes me feel like I'm with you on your journey. When we are in our heart, living in the moment, miracles happen. But I am beginning to understand the miracles we experience are every day moments that exist all the time and are accessible when we are in our hearts and living in the moment, we are part of the vast, the omnipresent, in stillness....I am experiencing this myself lately and feel such inner peace, content and one with everything.

Hospice was offering Therapeutic Touch, this has come around forthe third time and this time I had a sense that I needed to take it. Soooooo glad, I did. At the third Level, you need to have 85 case study before being registered and part of the Alliance. Then you can start working with cancer patience in the Hospital that are going through chemo. I saw myself working in this environment, doing al lthe things I love but mostly, teaching it. I saw a clear path that would allow me to use my gifts and be of service. Therapeutic Touch is well known in the medical field, Reiki is not as well known. I feel I need something to get me in and then I can expand and bramch out. In the class I had amazing experience and the teacher complemented me on the gifts and my insight. I am lucky to have the same teacher throughout the three levels, then I need to pratice.

We can then do an exchange :)

Looking forward to seeing all those picture,!!!

loving you,

  Manon May 22, 2012 12:20 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.