Existing Member?

My Way To capture every aspect of my journeys along the Caminos de Santiago. From planning to walking to home again, I want to record the feelings, insights, experiences and transformation that occur for me every step of The Way.

Mi Familia

SPAIN | Thursday, 10 May 2012 | Views [505]

Mi familia gets a surprise horse and buggy ride from the owner of Hostel Asturias!

Mi familia gets a surprise horse and buggy ride from the owner of Hostel Asturias!

I want you to meet the wonderful people I've been travelling with for the past 13 days or so...Their photos are in my Peregrinos I Loved Along the Way gallery.

Juan: 62 year old Libra with Aquarius rising!

I met Juan while leaving Seville, where the Camino is very poorly marked. Getting in and out of cities is the most frustrating part of walking The Way and I had just asked the Universe for an angel to guide me out of Seville when up in the distance I saw a person with a pack, a walking stick, and a poncho, because the weather was miserable that day. A fellow pilgrim! I couldn't have a met a better comrade!He doesn't speak a lot of English, but more than I speak Spanish and we talk with our hands or through beautiful Bea, smiles and body language.

This man has seen it all and is a pelegrino extraordinare! He sure knows how to pack, too...his rucksack only weighs 5 kilos, compared to my 10! I envy his little pack and I've done some clearing out since the beginning. Check out my new inventory list.

Juan has walked through Egypt, Morroco, Sudan, and more and has finished the Via de la Norte and Camino Frances here in Spain, as well as a series of the other, smaller caminos.Juan is a kind hearted, good humoured man and he has taken me under his wing, so to speak. Juan always ensures the familia has a place to stay, especially as we move on and the albergues become a little more busy. He is also the one who diagnosed my tendonitis and encouraged me to rest. 

He walks muay rapidio (very fast) and since my injuries I've not been able to keep up...but once I get to the final destination he pops out of some cafe or bar as I pass by and guides me to our home for the night. I love Juan, he is an angel.

Beatrice:A Leo with Scorpio rising!

Beatrice is from Switzerland and is a talented, bright, energetic woman who speaks multiple languages including German, English, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish and Swiss! Whew! This group is very fortunate to have her, as she translates between us all, and she joined Juan and I on our second day, after meeting her at the albergue on our first night in Guillena.

See her photo? That eye liner she wears so beautifully? That's tattooed there, friends! Yep, she's my kind of woman, fierce and fiesty! She knows what she likes and it's posh! Fine wine, fine food...she cringes at the less well kept algergues, which are fine for Juan, Peter, and I. She loves her single life, her parents, and travelling. She's just finished a 5 week course in Salemanca learning Spanish and will continue to do so for the month of June. She's pretty incredible. We have our differences, but we always work it out...people can't be together as much as we all are and not have their mini fallouts. She´s been a terrific listener for me, overall, and I've gleaned much wisdom from her strength and independent attitude. Unfortunately, we won't be with Beatrice much longer, as she will skip The Way through Salamenca and continue the route further north until her classes start. We'll miss you, chica!

Peter: Peter is, a very sweet 73 year old German Gemini who amazes me with his endurance and laid back attitude every day. Nothing flusters or frustrates this man! He walks at his own pace and while I was injured we walked together, which was reassuring for me. Peter always manages to find us at the end of the day and loves his vino!

Peter is a concert pianist, a retired university professor, and also a master of languages including Spanish, French, Greek and Latin.

All three patiently work with me in teaching me Spanish and were incredibly supportive of my decision to rest while hurt. We spend the evenings in the cafe, bar or albergue eating or cooking, sipping wine and journalling...as well as swapping first aid items while performing foot care. Foot care is a daily ritual amongst all of the pilgrims and we all have our magic creams and medications. Feet aren't always pretty, especially amongst pilgrims, but these are the kind of things that bring us closer together!

May Great Spirit bless our little family...I'm so thankful to have them with me here on The Way!

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.