Existing Member?

My Way To capture every aspect of my journeys along the Caminos de Santiago. From planning to walking to home again, I want to record the feelings, insights, experiences and transformation that occur for me every step of The Way.

Inventory (re-reconsidered)

SPAIN | Wednesday, 30 May 2012 | Views [1233]

Packing for this kind of trip is easier than you'd think. Best advice I could ever give: Keep it Simple, Keep it Light! 

Update:In actually walking The Camino I've changed my mind about the ideal weight of my pack and what I need and don't need! In the first week I got rid of 5lbs of material and that 5lbs, believe you me, has made a world of difference!

On the first day, I emptied my wallet, put all of my ID in a plastic baggie, and gave it away. I also gave away 2 of my 4 bungee cords and a big handful of my safety pins.By the end of the first week, I'd gone to the post office and mailed my dream dictionary (which was a painful giveaway), my sacred bundle, my shoulder bag, my water filter, my pendulum, and my tarot cards to Santiago de Compostela to pick up when I arrive there. After resting from tendonitis, I left behind my sleeping mat.

After suffering from an aching shoulder on day 31-33 I got rid of yet another 1.6kilos. Bye-bye water bladder, dress, light tights, one pair socks, one pair underwear and big journal (which I replaced with a smaller, lighter journal)as well as one of the wet bags (I just carry my sleeping bag in a plastic grocery bag now...'cause if it ever got wet and I had to sleep in damp bedding, I'd be pissed). The blister stick went to Juan and the cold compress and moist towelettes were left in a albergue. These are all things I can easily live without. New rule when walking The Way: If you don't use it everyday, you don't need it.

 

Clothes 

  • convertible pants (1)
  • shorts (1)
  • short sleeved backpacking tops (2)
  • long sleeved backpacking top (1)
  • lightweight button down shirt (1)
  • wick-away socks with attached liner (4 3 pair)
  • underwear (3)(2)
  • dress (1)
  • tights (1 heavy pair, 1 light pair)
  • cami-top (1)
  • beautiful sheer blouse (1)
  • bra (1 sport, 1 regular)
  • hiking shoes
  • sandals
  • raincoat (you could splurge for the poncho which covers you and your pack...but it does get cool, so a light jacket is recommended. I made the raincoat for me/garbage bag for my pack combo work for me)
  • headscarf/shawl (an excellent multi-purpose item used as bandana, extra blanket, scarf, etc...)
  • broad rimmed hat
  • bandana

 

Night time  

  • silk pajamas (for keeping bed bugs at bay...thanks Diane!) (mostly i ended up sleeping in underwear and my cami top...colder nights, tights and a t-shirt)
  • fleece sleeping bag liner
  • small pillow cover (to be stuffed with raincoat) 
  • ear plugs (very, very important! Snorer's be damned!)
  • foam sleeping mat
  • garbage bag (to act as ground sheet)(to protect pack) (hint: tons of pilgrims wear ponchos because they cover you and your pack, but I didn't want to spring on a MEC one for $80. I'd buy one for a future Camino excursion, though!)

 

Toiletries 

  • toothbrush
  • toothpaste
  • floss 
  • comb
  • sunscreen
  • campsuds (for body, hair, and laundry)
  • facial scrub
  • deoderant
  • nail clippers
  • nail file
  • nailbrush (for scrubbing laundry & cleaning my nails)(there are generally washboards to be found in the albergues)
  • tweezers
  • lipbalm with SPF
  • small pack of moist towelettes
  • shamy towel
  • hairties/bobby pins
  • menses items (enough to get me by until I can hit a pharmacy, anyway)

 

First Aid 

  • traumel anti-inflammatory cream!!!!
  • polysporin
  • sting stopper
  • moleskin
  • cuttable bandaids
  • ASA
  • ankle wrap
  • cold compress
  • gauze
  • waterproof tape (the damn stuff doesn't work properly half the time anyway...)
  • latex gloves (you never know when someone else may need help...)
  • blister/chaffing stick
  • scissors
  • emergeny asthma inhaler

 

Other Essential Gear 

  • 3 litre hydration system (to be used only in hot, hot weather and on walks longer than 30kms...otherwise, leave it empty and use the water bottle)
  • 800ml water bottle
  • compact water filter (water in public fountains and in resturant taps is potable)
  • sunglasses
  • head lamp & batteries
  • camera & recharger (USB is best... the wall outlets are different in Europe, you can buy them there)
  • extendable walking pole w compass and temperature gauge
  • swiss army knife 
  • electrical tape
  • thread & needle
  • whistle
  • wet bags (1 for sleeping bag liner, 1 for dirty clothes)
  • small shoulder bag with zipper for evenings out and day trips

 

Sacred Items 

  • journal (with addresses for sending postcards on inside cover)
  • pens
  • dream dictionary
  • Dreamspell calendar
  • sage
  • lighter
  • shell
  • tarot cards
  • pendulum
  • crystals
  • rattle
  • full moon readings
  • prayers for St. James that any of you would like to give me to take (you can email them to me or hand write them and give them to me in person)

 

Other Practical Items and I.D. 

  • Pilgrim Guide to the Via de la Plata
  • passport (I've also scanned my passport and emailed it to myself)
  • proof of travel insurance
  • all flight information there and back
  • hostel booking info (then throw out)
  • train booking info (then throw out)
  • spanish phrasebook
  • VISA
  • student card
  • emergency contact info

I wore one of the above outfits and carried my shoulder bag and I.D. on the plane. All the rest fit into a 40 litre pack and weighs no more than 25 20lbs 8 kilos! This is absolutely ideal! It allows me to wear my lighter, more breathable shoe-style hikers instead of my big, all-leather (hot) hiking boots. When I hiked around North Ireland a few years back my 80 litre pack weighed almost 50lbs and was burdensome (though the boots came in handy...it rained a lot). I've learned my lesson, for sure!(And, apparently, continue to do so...)

The best purchase I made was just hours before actually leaving for the airport...$35 insoles that have made a world of difference to my journey!! Also, I don't go a day without giving thanks for my sombrero (hat)! Whether rain, shine or cool outside, that hat has been a godsend!

Also, a big shout out to my friend, Jenny J., who is coming to stay in Paris with me at the end of my trip and who is kindly carting with her a small suitcase stuffed with dresses, sandals, jewelry, esoteric goodies, and fresh underclothes and p.j.'s for me!!! Much love, sister!

Tags: camino, pre-planning

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.