Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 150 - Galapagos Islands - Isla Espanola

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 29 October 2014 | Views [317]

Woke up to see the sunrise over Espanola Island, pretty spectacular start to the day, sitting on deck taking in the view with a few cups of coffee. After breakfast we headed to yet another incredible beach, sharing a morning walk with more sea lion pups, hundreds of marine iguanas and various other creatures. The sun was peeking through the clouds and most of us took the opportunity to take a quick morning dip.

Our morning snorkelling excursion was to Garned Bay and even though the visibility wasn’t great, the experience of snorkelling with sealions weaving around you never gets old.

Back on boat we had a lazy lunch and afternoon on deck as we travelled further around Espanola to Punta Suarez. Back on land we walked around the island, again trying not to step on marine iguanas and sea lions stacked on top of each other, on almost every rock and patch of sand. Further inland and around the coast we saw loads of Galapagos Albatross nests, including a few giant fluffy chicks. So cute! The Albatross are beautiful and are one of the few bird species that mate for life, spending a good 30 years or so with each other. 

As we ventured along the coastline we saw loads of Blue Footed Boobies, Red Footed Boobies and even more Nazca Boobies. We watched the giant waves crash against the cliffs as the birds swooped around us and sat down on the rocks amidst the sea lions and marine iguanas to watch the sunset. Despite the clouds obscuring the view, it was the perfect way to  end the day. 

We were all in bed pretty much straight after dinner as we had very rough seas rocking us all the way through the night to Floreana Island. 

 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.