Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 148 - Galapagos Islands - Isla San Cristobal

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 29 October 2014 | Views [404]

We arrived at Isla San Cristobal early in the morning and started the day with a walk around Punta Pitt. We hiked up to a lookout, spotting numerous Blue Footed Boobies, Nazca Boobies, Red Footed Boobies, giant cactuses and some incredible basalt rock formations. 

After our walk we snorkelled with some more sea lions and then set sail for the south of the island via Kicker rock for some more snorkelling. Along the way we had a school of around 50 dolphins swimming with the boat. We decided to get in the water well before kicker rock, swimming with the dolphins and jumping back in and out of the dingy to try and keep up with them. It was pretty amazing! 

Once at Kicker rock it was absolutely freezing and the visibility wasn’t great- that said, we saw at least 25 Galapagos sharks circling beneath us and several sealions swimming around us. The number of sharks was quite phenomenal and there were also giant schools of fish milling around. There was a pretty strong current that carried us through the site pretty quickly and given how cold it was we didn’t take much convincing to get back in the dingy and return to the boat after around 30 minutes!

Back on board we travelled back towards the main town where we had some land time pre-dinner. Althea and her mum, Laura and I wandered around town, literally dodging the sea lions that lined the pavement, slept on park benches and in the middle of the roads! We spent a fair bit of time at a little playground, rode a giant tortoise statue and got ice-cream. It was a pretty damn cool afternoon. 

After dinner we sat around on the boat chatting before retiring for the night as we set sail to arrive at Isla Lobos for sunrise. 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.