Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 70 - Utila

HONDURAS | Saturday, 9 August 2014 | Views [235]

Early start at the dive school for day 1 of our advanced course.

We stopped by a small local bakery for breakfast - an omelette & Johnny cake accompanied by our roommate Trish who was going on a few fun dives.

The first dive was at the Labyrinth & the second at the black coral wall. All was pretty smooth. On the first dive we practiced compass navigation & swam through some small caves. The second five was pretty much underwater acrobatics training. We stood on our heads, swam & tumbled through hoops & even had a running race under the water!

The rest of the day we spent poolside at out hostel doing out dive theory & killing time before out night dive at 5.45pm.

The night dive was awesome. It was pretty choppy & wavy at the dive site which made getting in & out of the boat a wonderful challenge. I even managed somehow to get tangled in the line rope - it was completely wrapped around my tank & bcd preventing my descent. Thankfully the dive master quickly assessed the problem & came up to free me. Was more funny than scary. Just like getting lost on a guided tour I'm the only diver who somehow managed to get tangled up!

Once in the dark depth, armed with our torches we swam around Silver Garden reef. We saw some giant crabs & lobsters, sea cucumbers & sleeping fish. We had to be careful not to shine the torch directly on the fish because they sleep in a mucus bubble that bursts if they get woken up and they can only make one per night. If you wake them up they have to swim around all night and can't get back to sleep! I don't think I woke any up!

Night dive complete we headed to a small bar called Babalu for dinner. It's built over the jetty, ramshackle place that has a giant hole cut into the floor so you can see the fish swimming below while you have a drink or dinner. Had coconut shrimp which was super tasty couple with the Carribean standard rum punch.

That was us for the day :)

 

 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.