Existing Member?

The story so far...

Day 52 - Volcan Fuego

GUATEMALA | Monday, 21 July 2014 | Views [332]

Sunrise over the volcanoes at 5.50am was spectacular. With breakfast by the campfire at 6.30am we left around 7.30 with Nere & Osso to climb to the shoulder of Volcan Fuego.

We were meant to take around 2-3hrs to get there but we were at the top within an hour. Eruptions happening right above us & the clouds passing over us. It was pretty incredible & a view like no other. It was also freezing!

Back at camp by 10am we had plenty of down time before lunch & our sunset hike.

We lazed around most of the day watching Fuego erupt. And enjoying the warmth of the sun. Another group of campers join us in the afternoon - a couple of Americans & a Canadian which was nice.

We set out around 4.15 to summit Acatenango for sunset but 3/4 of the way up the weather turned nasty so we had to descend back to camp.

We had a tasty curry & hot chocolate by the campfire with our new, bigger group & enjoyed some good condensation before the rain sent us to our tents.

It's a 4.30am start tomorrow to try the summit again for sunrise. Fingers crossed for better weather eh?

 

About kikkijayne


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.