Existing Member?

Carlos Gutierrez

Day 20 – Monday, July 25th – French Creek to Kremmling

USA | Tuesday, 2 August 2011 | Views [382]

Lots of rollers in the morning – quick ups and downs that sap energy – through pine beetle-infested forests. Encountered a double deadfall but got around it pretty easily. Around noon we crested the watershed divide and were treated to spectacular views of Radium and the Colorado River almost 2,000’/600m in the valley below. The downhill was several miles and quite steep, causing us to ride the brakes to stay in control, then stop every mile so the rims could cool down. My rims got hot to the touch from so much friction! With traditional brakes (rubber brake pads) you gotta be careful not to overheat the rims, otherwise the pads can congeal causing you to lose all braking.

Eventually we reached the valley at Radium, not much there except for a BLM (Bureau of Land Management) river put-in and a few buildings. We had lunch on the smooth concrete apron in front of the outhouse, then tackled several big climbs which left us exhausted. We made it to Kremmling and got very cheap ($15 each!) rooms at the Hotel Eastin, the three of us were supposed to be in the common hostel rooms but the owners took pity on our sorry souls and we got nice separate hotel rooms, albeit with a bathroom down the hall. Dinner at the local Subway.

About kcarlosgutierrez


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.