Existing Member?

Carlos Gutierrez

Day 2 – Thursday, July 7th – West Yellowstone to Grant Village, Yellowstone National Park

USA | Monday, 1 August 2011 | Views [459]

More perfect cycling weather as Harvey and I headed through the park, stopping at several geyser basins, including Old Faithful for the 3:07pm geyser eruption – loads of tourists, lots of them driving huge RV’s. BIG vehicles driven by BIG people. Traffic was non-stop…making the ride on roads with only a 3” shoulder a bit harrowing. After burger + fries for lunch I crashed for a short nap on the lobby couches in one of the fancy hotels at Old Faithful Village. Harvey charged up his electronics.

After cycling 40 miles we arrived at Grant Village Campground and stayed in the hiker/biker site (meaning you don’t need advance reservations). We met a bunch of east-bound TransAmerica cyclists – Mike & Lori (Mike on a Burley recumbent) from Seattle; Gordon and Jeff, two college kids also from Seattle; and a group of four medical students on a leukemia fund-raising tour from San Francisco to Connecticut. I had a bison burger dinner with Harvey, Mike and Lori at the Lighthouse Restaurant, then a shower where you had to feed quarters into the slot for hot water, otherwise you got ice cold water and your shower was unbelievably short.

About kcarlosgutierrez


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.