Existing Member?

Turning 30 South American Style With the dreaded 30th birthday looming, I ran away to South America to celebrate the landmark birthday in style.

Isla del Sol Lake Titicaca

BOLIVIA | Sunday, 25 May 2008 | Views [975]

At the Copa, Copacabana, the song would not leave my head as we headed to Lake Titicaca and the Isla de Sol - both absolutely lovely.
The journey from La Paz was spectacular, by far one of the prettiest bus journeys in the world and you have the added bonus of watching your coach getting on a makeshift wooden barge to cross a small section of the lake while you look on in safety from a more seas worthy vessel.
Copacabana itself is not really up to much, just a string of restaurants and internet cafes but pleasant enough all the same.
To spice things up a little, we took a four hour hike with two others to a wee boat station further along the coast rather than jump straight in a ferry to the Isla. We met the weird postcard man mentioned in the Lonely Planet who took us across to the island for a small fee.
And what a lovely little island. The view is spectacular, you can see the line of the Andes peaks all sugar frosted disappearing inti the distance as little ladies in traditional dress herd their llamas and ponies right past you.
Being rather shoddy at map reading we all managed to get ourselves completely off the beaten track and ended up trudging through fields, back yards, terraced crop plantations and sheep herding pens.
Glad we did though as it by far the nicest experience. We spent the night in a lovely hostel far from anywhere with our own little living room and a dinner of soup and trout (well egg for me again). Our hostess even ran out to get three beers.
The following day although a good day´s walk was a bit of a let down by comparison, but still lovely. We seemed to keep encountering grumpy people though who wanted to extract five bolivianos from us at every turn, except for Steve, who took it into his head to run the route instead, he got a round of applause at every check point instead and saved himself a whooping 20p.

Tags: boat, bolivia, climb, copacabana, ferry, isla del luna, isla del sol, lake titicaca, peru, trek

About katrinamckeever


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.