Existing Member?

Tree's Thai Travels

Learning Thai, Visiting Buddha and experiencing the start of monsoon season.

THAILAND | Sunday, 5 May 2013 | Views [311]

We had Thai lessons yesterday, Oh my goodness, I don't think I'm ever going to be able to learn it. Thai language is so complex, they have 5 different tones and each tone of voice can make a word mean something different. 

A quick example

Depending on which tone of voice you say it in; Paa means

Either

To throw

Forest

Aunt

Father

Old rich man

 

Things are definitely going to get confusing!!

 

Had a lovely day out today, got taken to visit various different temples, I think I was most impressed with the reclining Buddha temple. It was actually an amazing sight. The Buddha statue inside the temple is huge (160ft long!!) and is made out of pure gold and its feet are decorated with Mother of Pearl. I felt in awe of it, I'm very glad that I got to experience it. 

 

We also visited a couple of other temples, one of which we had to get to across a river by boat. They were also amazing to look at, and although they are tourist destinations it is really nice to see people using the temple as a place of worship. 

 

Had the first, of what I expect will be many, downpour today. It rained like crazy hammering down from the sky and causing us all to get drenched through within a matter of seconds. It lasted around an hour and then the sun returned and the weather has been beautiful since. It's quite a weird sensation being so wet from such ferocious rain but still being hot. 

Leaving the hotel tomorrow and being transferred to my accommodation in the south. Looking forward to starting teaching and getting settled into somewhere new!! 

 

About katrina_curtis89


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.