Existing Member?

Tree's Thai Travels

A change in events

THAILAND | Wednesday, 8 May 2013 | Views [257]

Well I've moved from the hotel in Bangkok to my accommodation Chai Buri.

The journey was interesting, went on a sleeper train. Quite an experience although I didn't get a great deal of sleep. After a 12 hour journey by train and then a 5 hour bus journey we arrived at our school.

I was a little over whelmed as they took us straight into a meeting that all 52 of the other teachers were having and made us go on stage. Considering they had spoken so much about the importance of dressing smartly at school I felt terrible about being in shorts and a t shirt and looking a right state as I'd just done 17 hours worth of travelling. This was made worse by the fact that some of the teachers who could speak very limited English started telling me that I couldn't go to school dressed the way I was!! It was hard to make them understand that I didn't intend to come to the school like that. 

We then travelled to our accommodation. I'm staying in a converted garage; I suppose is the best way to describe it. There are no windows and only a garage door, which we have to pull down and lock with a padlock at night. There was a huge wasp or bee not sure exactly nest in the bathroom. Literally hundreds of bees/wasps everywhere. The landlord asked through Ohm who speaks English, if we would mind it staying!! I almost cried there and then. There was no way I could live with a nest that size. Thankfully after about 5 hours the landlord came back and started sorting it out. We now have dead bees/ wasps all over the floors, as well as some which haven't died buzzing around. 

Although I had only received 1 tiny bite for the 12 days that I stayed in Bangkok I now have 14 despite coating myself in insect repellent. There are also tiny little flea like things everywhere including on my bed. I have tried to do some cleaning but its making me feel ill. There are filthy tissues down the side of my bed and dirt everywhere. We can't even use the fridge, I opened it wanting to put some water in but it smells so bad and is full of dead flies!! I wasn't expecting to have 5 star accommodation but considering TTT are taking 27500THB (£600) out of my wages each month, leaving me with just 12500THB (£270) to live on I expected something a bit different to this. 

It’s also very strange, we opened our garage door this morning and the landlord (who is also the deputy director of the school I'm meant to teach at) was just sitting right outside with some other guy. I was in my pjs and felt very embarrassed as I'm meant to be making a good impression on these people.

Our garage like thing seems to be in the middle of nowhere, not sure what I am going to do for food etc as there doesn't seem to be much around here, the nearest tescos is a 20 minute drive away.

Really not sure how I am going to cope with all this, at this moment in time I just want to come home :(

 

About katrina_curtis89


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.