Existing Member?

Tree's Thai Travels

Classes, kids fighting with swords and a giant shopping mall.

THAILAND | Friday, 3 May 2013 | Views [301]

The weather is still crazy hot; I think its 37oC here today. Still not managing to get a tan though :( 

Started classes in the past couple of days to help us learn more about kids in Thailand, they have been very helpful and informative as the school structures are very different here than they are back home. For example: Although I've got to write exams for the kids I'm teaching; the general rule is that no one fails in Thai schools. Found that a little strange but I guess it will make me look like a good teacher when I pass all of my kids. The other rule is that no one gets 100% in exams so even if a student does get everything right I will have to find some way of making them lose marks. No one is Thailand is perfect and it is seen as an insult if you give a student 100%.  

Also learnt several techniques for dealing with bad behaviour apparently the thing Thai students hate the most is being made to sit in front of the class so people can look at them. Easy way to stop them misbehaving is to threaten them with that. 

We had a welcome dinner the other night and we were then entertained (or in my case terrified) by children performing various different forms of martial arts and fighting with one another, usually with wooden poles but on a couple of occasions kids no older than 10 were fighting with swords that were so sharp sparks were flying off them as they made contact. I was terrified that they were going to make a mistake and end up cutting one another but it was incredible to watch. 

Decided to go to a shopping mall after classes yesterday, got on a sky train there, seriously cheap and quite nice way to travel. It’s a similar concept to the London Underground but as the name suggests it's higher up. The shopping mall was huge; I reckon you would need the entire day to be able to look around it all. It encompasses a mixture of high street shops and little stalls similar to that of a market. Everything is cheap and other than in "posh" designer stores you are encouraged to barter with the shop owners. 

Whilst in the centre we went to the 5th floor which is solely for food. You walk past some barriers to get in and are given a swipe card. You can then go to any of the food places in there and order using this card. You pay when you leave for everything. I had a delicious orange shake thing and then got sweet and sour chicken and rice which is freshly cooked to order right in front of you and only cost around £4.

Have been feeling a little homesick but I'm looking forward to arriving at my accommodation and starting teaching. :) 

 

About katrina_curtis89


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.